• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flights Coaches

Bob Johnson

master brummie
I used to work for Flight's Coaches in the mid 60's when they were in Victoria Road and Berners St Aston. In the early 70's or before Flight's were sold out to Bowen's of Tamworth. I seem to recall that Ken Flight was not able to run another coach business for ten years or so due to contractual obligations with Bowen's. Flight's Airport Travel appeared in Holyhead rd handsworth, operating from there for many years. Then came another buyout, this time from National Express ( I think) and a move to the old Bristol St Motors depot in Long Acre. The name still survives, sadly it is now only a name.

Ken Flight was a decent kind of fellah as I remember, he once let me drive his Humber Super Snipe across the garage forecourt at Victoria Rd, a distance of about 25 yds, still, it felt good.

Other coach companies I can remember are Evans Coaches of Bordesley Green, Gaffers name was Cliff ????? Richardsons of Sutton Coldfield, Proprieter was Brian Richardson, sadly killed in a motorcycle accident a couple of years back.

If any of you would like to contribute your stories for my website OLD BIRMINGHAM GARAGES www.obgt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk it would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Baron

master brummie
Am I right was there not a CLARABELLE Coach Co opposite Matty's elec shop on Lichfield Road?.
This one, unknown trip from Four Oaks  Sutton Coldfield with what looks like a coach from Lichfield?

J

Jerry

There's a Claribelle coach company operating in Brum at present

The Baron

master brummie
Thanks Jerry, I got the spelling wrong,the reason I remember them was in the 50s they had one of there coaches with the REG: KRJ1 which are my initials,I used to see it most days on my way the work at the GEC Witton.
Regards ASTON O0

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
yes there was a coach company , named claribelle on the lichfield road aston and it had a little wooden hut for an office , with a couple of little old fashioned coaches and that was in the year of the late forties and mid fifties , and i remember when they got the new sharra bang buses , we went to the cotswold s on it and we went from dyson hall park road by the vine pub . the gararge was next to greens the paper shop where you had to step down into thr shop and if there was three customers before you you had to wait outside before stepping in and being served and also it was oppersite our terrace , on the other side of the lichfield rd . facing our terrace which was cromwell terrace , it had two big pillars on each side of the opening ,

R

Rod

We used to go on Claribelle coaches to Wickstead park from Burlington street school.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Flight's coach. No idea of location or date, but it does have "Birmingham" on the destination board.

I think we went to Cornwall in the late 1950s/early 1960s on one of these - from Stockland Green Garage. Did they operate from there? Viv.

image.jpeg

cookie273uk

master brummie
I remember going on evening 'mystery' tours with my Wife on Flight's coaches around the 50's, also day trips to Rhyl, Blackpool etc... I seem to connect them with Victoria Road (?). Eric

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Flights business started from there great grand dad of earning money as a rag and bone man
whom got is son a little space and a little garage to do car repairs and buily up a car repair business before
buyin a chara bang for day trips far bar as claribelles whom had two old coaches bone shaker,s they was
for little trips up to the clent hills and they was real bone shakers
and they started on lichfield road opersite in a little garage oppersite cromwell terrace and we lived at 5/92 lichfield road
two doors from our terrace , at the bottom of the terrace was two high pillows with a hugh concrete ball on each on
on the right there was mrs barnsely grocery and the left was Astons the cake shop next to them was thompsons the butchers ;;
Astonian,,,,

nickcc101

master brummie
A Flight's coach. No idea of location or date, but it does have "Birmingham" on the destination board.

I think we went to Cornwall in the late 1950s/early 1960s on one of these - from Stockland Green Garage. Did they operate from there? Viv.

View attachment 115191
Would have been Stockland coaches Viv, Friday night services to South Devon and Newquay Cornwall. Flights also operated similar services as we used to meet up in Taunton and use a traffic free short cut to Bridgewater missing all the traffic jams on the A38.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes Nick - Friday night journey ! It was so exciting for me as a kid. We used to get off at Newquay, then on to St Agnes. Viv

nickcc101

master brummie
Hi Viv. Only did the Newquay run once as preferred Torquay and Paignton run instead. Strange how we have lived in Cornwall for the last 20 years apart from a 4 year spell in Torquay. Quite like St Aggie even though I used to drive through there twice a day on the way to Perranporth whilst driving for Truronian, local bus company, after I took early retirement.