• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Flight Magazine Archive 1909>2005

Many thanks for that excellent link, Arkrite. :)

I just wish that more publications would handle their archives in that way rather than selling them to JSTOR and similar organisations, where they are put out of the reach of most of us, particularly those of us not based in the UK. I don't mind paying to access archives, as I do with "The Stage", but JSTOR won't accept private subscriptions and most public libraries cannot afford their expensive subscriptions.

This means that only academics, via their universities, get to access these valuable national resources. Whatever happened to Mr Blair's "Education, education, education"? :(

Last year I needed to access an archived archaeological article about Crete, the island where I live, that had been placed in the so-called "care" of JSTOR. Despite complaining bitterly to JSTOR and the original publisher of the magazine (which included offering to pay for said article), I was forced to obtain photocopies of it from a professor at Victoria University, Australia, who happens to be a friend of my third cousin out there. Postage came to 14 Au $.

So where was the sense in that? JSTOR didn't get an extra cent out of it because the professor just obtained it freely as part of his university's subscription. Rant over! :p

Maurice :cool:

Arkrite - Thanks for that great link. I can now spend many pleasant hours browsing through it.
oldmohawk:)

Thank you , just glad to be of some use occasionally instead of standing around taking up bandwidth.:)

Just spent 3/4 hour looking at it, there is so much. I've just sat in the cockpit of a shuttle and seen the pilot's view of a landing ....great
icon14.gif
:)

Hi Arkrite,

May the sun of righteousness shine upon you and your family for the next 77 generations; may all your sons be male children; may your Lottery numbers come up soon.

That is FANTASTIC! Anyone who's taken a moment to read my posts will know that I'm well into anything with wings (including bumble-bees and angels) and the Flight Archive, for the cutaway drawings alone, is like manna from Heaven for me! Those drawings in themselves are works of art, the technology aside. I'll probably spend the rest of my life just looking at them!

More thanks than I can give breath to, my mate! Absolutely fantabulous!

Big Gee

Back