• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Flickering Monitor Black Screen

Bojalu

master brummie
My desk top montitor is taking up to half an hour to come on.
This is happening every time I switch on.

The screen is black , that flickers , I am just about able to see icons on screen.
I am able to hear the start up theme, as soon as i switch on.
Everything is plugged in and internet is working , using lap top at the moment.

Would this fault be with the montior or computor ?

Without doing anything suddenly Screen will appear and all is well.
Any idea's what is causing this ?

Unsure if this is a coinsidence but it has only occurred since I had M/s word installed.

Your input will be appreciated.

Bo

Hi Bo,
It sounds like your graphics card is playing up.
Can you borrow another monitor, if so,connect it and see what happens
if it does the same thing it's your graphics card, if it works fine it's your monitor.
Hope this helps.
Regards John.

Hi Bojala

Before trying John's helpful advice. check out that your lead between the computer and the monitor is serviceable and connected correctly especially if you have moved your pc lately for any reason.

Phil

it may be a coincidence .. faulty monitor or your display settings may have altered..if you go to control panel ..device manager..(vista)..or system xp..open that and it will list all your pc items...click on monitor and this will drop down to list a pnp device ...update driver and see if this improves the situation :)check all leads first

Last edited:
I can't see how it would have anything to do with installing M$ Word. If it's not a loose cable I s'pose it could also be a loose circuit board if the tower's been knocked or disturbed lately.

Sounds like either a bad connection or faulty monitor to me. Check the 15 pin plug to the PC to see if there are any bent pins on the plug and make sure the plug is screwed in tight to the connector on the rear of the PC. This would cause one or two of the colours to go missing or would cause the picture to roll if one of sync lines was missing though not necessary a dark picture. I know this sounds silly but have you tried turning the brightness up?

Ideal check is to try another monitor, if that works then it is the monitor. Another test would be to plug the monitor into the laptop if it has a VGA output on the rear or side, when connected to your laptop locate the FN key and the display function key (typically F5, F7 or F8), which usually has a picture of a monitor or the words CRT/LCD on it. To activate the monitor display, hold down the FN key, then press the display function key. It may take a few seconds for the monitor to respond.

Is it a LCD (flat screen) or a CRT (big bugger) monitor? I assume a CRT one, try turning the brightness and contrast up and down via the on screen settings, if you get a bit brighter display when these are turned up it is going to be a fault with the monitor I am sorry to say. It could be a number of things inside the monitor causing the fault however if it a CRT monitor it ain't worth the fixing and unless you know what you are doing you may well end up killing youself, there are very high voltages in monitors and TV's, far higher than the mains supply, ten's of thousands of volts infact.

If it is the monitor that is at fault you can pick a used 17 " or 19" CRT monitor up for £5 - £15 these days or you can even get a flat screen monitor for around £25 - £50 (not wide screen though).

If it is the monitor that has failed and you have transport to get over to Quinton I have several 15", 17" and 19" CRT monitors going spare, you can have one for free if you care to pick it up.

Anymore suggestions Please ?

I had double checked all leads before posting.
Internet working.
Have plugged LCD flat screen monitor from desk top into Laptop and it is working via laptop :)

Plugged monitor back into main P/c . It takes longer eack day to view screen ( 45 minites today )

Can hear start up music, screen is black, flickering without warning it just appears.

On occasions once I have clicked on email I have a white screen , this will take a few minutes to take me to my email log in page.

What a wonderful offer Dave , that was kind of you.:0429:

Bo

Have a look at the back of the PC. We need to find out if you are using on board graphics or a graphics card. Have a look at the two pictures below. If the monitor lead is connected to the main expansion ports like in picture 1 then you have on board graphics and if it is connected to a card like in picture 2 then you have a graphics adaptor in a slot.

If it is an adaptor card in a slot, swicth the PC off from the wall and remove the case. Give the graphics adaptor card a firm push to make sure it is socketed correctly into the motherboard.

Another test after this if the problem is still there is to reboot the PC and hold down a few keys the instant the PC reboots, you should get a beeping sound and a message on the screen saying Keyboard Error. If you see this message then the graphics is working and the problem is with Windows if you don't see any thing then it looks like an hardware faults with the graphics adaptop. Another thing to look for is how many video adaptor sockets you have on the rear of the PC? If there is more than one let us know and I will suggest something else you can try.

Back