• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fleur-de-Lys pies

The atmosphere was worth the drive, Sundays packed to the gills. walked along the canal, Dranks lots of GOOD beer, wonderfull times. John Crump Oldbrit in Parker. Co USA

A strange coincidence but ----

I've just been shopping at my local Sainsbury's and they have Pukka Pies on offer at the price of 2 for £2.

Have bought six!

Shardeen, dad always calls them cake and sidney pies - he confused the poor waiter in a pub in Devon last year when she asked what he wanted by asking for that!!
Sue

Post#19 Graham your picture makes me feel hungry and also brings back memories of my husband driving my Mom and Dad and our two children from Hall Green to Lowsonford so that we each could enjoy a pie in the grounds of the Pub. I think Fleur-de-Lys pies were also sold in some fish and chip shops too. Anthea.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with horse meat? Its good meat although overall not as good as beef but thats just my opinion.

I ate horse meat for years when in France and Belgium, slightly sweeter than beef but on the whole very pleasent. Sold in millions of places in WW1 and WW2 in Britain and a normal meat supply up to the 20th C, I never understood the misconception over here with it.
paul

I don't eat any sort of meat but I agree with what posters are saying, if you are happy to eat meat, what's the problem about any sort of animal!

I don't eat any sort of meat but I agree with what posters are saying, if you are happy to eat meat, what's the problem about any sort of animal!

You are quite right, over the years I tried all sorts from squirrel to mopane worms, some was good, some not.

Fleur-de-Lys Pies, Steak & Kidney and Chicken & Mushroom were sold by Alex from a caravan at the back of the Old Rep in Station Street. In the 60's on a Sunday night late, soldiers waiting to go back from a long weekend leave would wait around the van eating pies and drinking tea. The coaches would arrive anytime from 11:00pm onward.

I loved them and there are no pies around now that come close, other than my other half's and she also makes awesome Steak & Kidney Puddings.

A while later Alex opened a restaurant at the top end of New Street which only lasted a few years.

Up thread Lowsonford and the Fleur-de-Lys PH was mentioned. I knew Lowsonford and that area from my canal interest days but being too young never went in the pub. However, in around 1965, in a visit to relatives in the area, we did go there and sample the pies. I have no idea if they were the same as the others mentioned here but suffice to say there were good.
One place I always was welcomed for my packet (or two) of Smiths Crisps was the Aqueduct PH at Shirley. That was when it was in pretty original state of course.

Back