• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flag Sauce

Evening Trevor, Fred's sauce was anybodys guess! You were asked if you wanted it on and the food arrived with it on but you never saw the bottle it came from. I remember it was some pale runny stuff so reckon it had a high vinegar content I stayed with his tomato sauce meself, the brown was yuk! LOL
Mike

tony 5112

If you look at the previous posts nephriti posted a message to say Horlocks had taken them ovr. I think it is post 14 quoted from the Birmingham Mail.
Jeoffry

I'm curious about flag sauce because our builder found an empty (but whole) bottle of it buried in our yard. Wondered what it was (I don't remember it - born in 1968!). It's quite a big bottle (not quite as large as a standard bottle of wine). We live in Stratton, Bude but I'm originally from the Midlands so was interested to find out it came from Birmingham. The builder likes his HP Sauce but he is far too young to remember Flags.

Don't think they will, same as Ansells it never was the same when the brewery was demolished. All to do with the water from the wells below. My uncle Norman worked for hp most of his working life and my husband had the worst job in Brum [a brewer and SAMPLER at Ansells]. Jean.

Hi Jean,

A bit late replying Jean, - M & B used a well too (their telegraphic address was 'Artesian') , and also R Whites in Western Road used one until the late 60s, but went onto mains water because the water quality deteriorated.

Kind regards

Dave

hi yes its long gone thank god and well passed its sell bye date
i never like it ,still its each to every own taste that wat i say
i now used lea and perrins and i live down the rd from it -its amazing
i used to live down the rd from H P on the lichfield rd
best wishes atonian ;;;

hi all
I remember flag sauce and the chop sauce, the flag ketchup was fantastic though I never knew it was made in brum, but when ever we went camping with scouts the old scout master always had the flag sauce for the bacon and eggs.
regards
paul stacey

hi all
I remember flag sauce and the chop sauce, the flag ketchup was fantastic though I never knew it was made in brum, but when ever we went camping with scouts the old scout master always had the flag sauce for the bacon and eggs.
regards
paul stacey

Nice to see the old Scoutmaster not only had good taste but lived up to the famous motto, 'Be prepared' with Flag to go on his bacon eggs when he went camping.
Mike

Another brown sauce I had forgotten turned up on my table as a surprise birthday present from one of my sons - a bottle of OK Sauce. I hadn't seen this one for years but turns out Colmans Mustard still make it for the Chinese market! The label is partly printed in Chinese and it's on sale at Wing Yips in Nechells where my son got it while looking round there. Not the same as Flag, as it is much fruitier, but is a nice tasty blast from the past in a cheese sandwich.

Eureka!!!!. My dearly beloved treated me to a toasted sandwich in Marks & Sparks cafe so thouight a sachet of their brown sauce might help it along. To my delight it reminded me of my favourite Flag Sauce. When we had eaten, it was straight down to the food hall for a bottle of it. Wondered if it would be the same stuff as in the satchet and it is. No other brown sauce from now on. Getting some more in over the weekend. Great!

Another brown sauce I had forgotten turned up on my table as a surprise birthday present from one of my sons - a bottle of OK Sauce. I hadn't seen this one for years but turns out Colmans Mustard still make it for the Chinese market! The label is partly printed in Chinese and it's on sale at Wing Yips in Nechells where my son got it while looking round there. Not the same as Flag, as it is much fruitier, but is a nice tasty blast from the past in a cheese sandwich.

Flag sauce yum

Always used to reckon we were nearly home when I could smell the HP sauce factory. Gone but not forgotten............. Another bit of Brum lost!

Popped into B&M this morning.There on the shelf was DADIES sauce my favorite.Not had it for years,only £1 a large bottle.Took me back to childhood ,Bread & Butter and Daddies sauce sandwiches.OoooooooooH

When I was working for a builder as an apprentice joiner, T Humphries & Son of Tennent Street, Balsall Heath, I spent many weeks working in the factory & offices of Fardons Vinegar in Glover Street, they had premises on both sides of the road. I also worked on the house of I think John Fardon (probably a son) along Highfield Road, near Yardley Wood railway station. This was in the late fifties.

Back