• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fishing

The only time I ever caught fish was on a two week camping holiday way back in 1954 when six of us decided to go to Combe Martin in Devon. After a week we were low on money so decided to catch and cook some fish. We bought fishing lines, hired two rowing boats and rowed out to sea ... you could do that in those days.

Some distance out we stopped, put mussel bait on the lines, lowered them into the sea and immediately felt tugs on the lines. We pulled the lines up to see fish about 12" long on the hooks and after catching eight we rowed back to the beach. Walking back to camp someone told us the fish were 'whitings' and also how to fillet and cook them over a camp fire.
i fish of the rocks now after getting very sea sick. i thought i was dying.the smaller the craft the worse it is.
well one night i was fishing just as the tide was coming in. like you i felt the line go struck we are in i thought. when i lifted the fish out the water it was croaking like a frog and flapping it frightend me, i thought what the eck is this thing
Red Gurnard Fishgurnard.jpg

Last edited:
poached no license as in stealing, not cooking Stealing fish is contrary to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968. The Act also creates poaching offences to cover situations where wild fish are taken. Taking wild fish from a river is poaching, but removing a dead fish from a fisherman's car boot is theft.
Pete, i used to fish with a couple of mates by the weir in Worcester. One lad caught a lovely salmon which he took home, which begs the question, is that stealing? I know if i caught a salmon (fat chance ) i wouldn`t throw it back.

Pete, i used to fish with a couple of mates by the weir in Worcester. One lad caught a lovely salmon which he took home, which begs the question, is that stealing? I know if i caught a salmon (fat chance ) i wouldn`t throw it back.
and we did plenty of eels to be caught.
i dont think you would be stealing if you had the appropriate license and stuck uk gov guidelines

What sort of fishing licence do I need? - Lines on the Water

Freshwater rod fishing rules - GOV.UK

things are gona change

River Severn: Is a new law needed to help salmon? - BBC News

Last edited:
I went mackeral fishing many years ago in Borth. I caught a red gurnard and yes they do squeal!! I had to wrap it in a towel to get it off the hook and throw it back. The fish went"off" on the way home, it was a hot day.
I had taken seasick tablets just in case but I was OK.
rosie.

My father would take me fishing quite often on Sundays. The first thing he would do when we were on the bank was to tie a length of washing line round my waist and tie the other end to a sturdy wooden peg that he had hammered into the ground. No chance of me falling in.

I went mackeral fishing many years ago in Borth. I caught a red gurnard and yes they do squeal!! I had to wrap it in a towel to get it off the hook and throw it back. The fish went"off" on the way home, it was a hot day.
I had taken seasick tablets just in case but I was OK.
rosie.
Borth we went fishing there every year untill 1986. the river leri had some great mullet.and trout. i once swung a wrasse in and grabbed it "wat a mistaka to maka" it had spines that was like blackthorn:oops:

I used to love my fishing but not been for decades, both my dad & I began fly fishing in the 1960's. I got a Veniard fly tying outfit for my birthday and began tying dry flies. I ended up with a large suitcase full of Veniard feathers & equipment which I still have.
The dry flies require hackles from the back of the head & neck of an aged Cockerel. You could buy them in a small packet or buy the expensive complete neck which is called a cape and I have a pile of these. Now I see the market is flooded with cheap imports from India of young birds feathers so nowhere near as resilient as aged ones which enable the fly to stand up and float on the surface. Metz Cock Necks are among the worlds finest and can cost as much as £90 each for grade one.

army saved the day

one year i took my boat a 14 foot to wales.a few days after we had settled in the caravan i drove down to the beach the weather was very hot and the sand looked dry and firm,so on i drove started backing into the water, and you guest it the car started to sink in the sand. i tryed a few times but no chance i was digging it further in, so i walked a few yards to the COAST GUARD station and asked if they could pull me out back on to the hard slip. the reply was No it is not life threatning. i was getting worried becouse the tide was turning soon it would be coming in. then a group of runners come up to us and said whats wrong mate. i pointed to the wheels, no probs one said come on you lot,they got around the car and lifted it up and onto the hard stuff. wow i said thanks lads, no probs chuck one said. they were a squad of solders on exercise they then carried on running.

Last edited:
your welcome. Alf. glad it brought back some good times. and bad like the day we went spinning on the cut and i got to close to dad when he cast. i got a spinner in my faceo_O
Hi Pete, Your thread has bought back so many memories. I recall one September dad and I went to Caresws for four days fishing. I recall I caught my first Grayling there, what a beautiful fish.
Dad bought a piece of Edam cheese, which we used on ledgers. Not at all successfu, it went back in the creel. The following spring we were again at Hampton Loade, I found the Edam still wrapped in its paper bag but now it had grown a green fur coat. I was astounded when dad cut the green fur off and promptly had a bite. I was eventually convinced to try it, I had never tasted cheese so nice and to this day I can remember it. Sadly the chub had to go without this delicacy. I now get upset with my wife who throws cheese away because it’s surpassed it’s best by date. It’s at its best when it’s got a green fur coat. (Removed prior to eating of course) Alf. C

its sat morning 5 am dad shakes me and says rise and shine i get out of bed,
go down stairs and have a wash etc, we start out, the first stop is jordons news agent and dad gets 2 packets of woodbines
for the bloke who owns and lets us fish on is property .then get the 43 bus to town.stopping at the old square. we walk through
the church yard to snow hill station, meet the rest of the gang under the clock,and down to the train on platform 12,half way down a voice shout "come on cant you get up in the mornings"it is the loco driver. off we go to wooten wawen.when we arrive i am not looking farward to the walk,it is a long way to the river. along the rd we stop at the post office/store that i like,becouse i
get a bottle of arden mineral waters pop and a packet of spangles. further on we turn up into the lane by the canel aquaduct me stopping to pic up some wind falls,that was by the hedge row. when we get to the farmers cottage the
lady gives us a cuppa,and dad has a chin wag for a while,gives him his fags and we go to the gate to the field, the mist is all over the field,and all you can see are the heads of the cows,it looks very Eerie,and i am a bit frightend of them
i am only 6 years old. slowly we walk through the cows down to the river. when we are at our pitch we clear some nettles and tackle up,and get fishing. the time is around 12 now so dad gets the tommy cooker out and we have a brew. i open my sarnies,they are corn beef
with a big lump of spanish onion, while we are chomping there are lots of what i thought was rats appear. but dad said they were water vole after the bread. the sun was getting very hot now,so i walked down to a part where i have a paddle. its around 6pm now it was time to head back to the station so off we went.just before the station was a bungalow that sold food etc.you had to
knock on the door.i did,and got a packet of smiths crips the ones with a blue bag of salt in there. on the platform we waited and a steam loco was heard in the distance coming, but it was a straight threw to snow hill as it come through the station shook.
then our train arrived.we got on board. when we got to snowhill it was all quiet now,the shops were closed.and it was getting dark, i watched the thousands of starlings flying around ready to nest for he night. well the 43 bus come and we got on,and was soon home again,i sure am ready for my bed. good night all
Ahhh! Its a really nice area for fishing

running low on bait i thought i would go and have a dig in a dung heap in a field. turning over the stuff i come across what looked like worms. what a mistaka to make they were babby adders hundreds of them in a bunch,i legged it in case there mom and dad come back:(

Birmingham Anglers Association Limited​

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS​

How different it must have been on June 7th 1883 when a small group of representatives from the local fishing clubs met at "The Old Green Man" pub in Lancaster St. Birmingham to discuss setting up a society of angling clubs to lobby the railway companies for reduced train fares for anglers at weekends. So came into being "The Birmingham and District Amalgamated Angling Association" later to be known simply as: The Birmingham Anglers Association.
From those humble beginnings rose an organisation which has been at the forefront of angling for over a hundred years. At it's peak in the mid '70's the BAA could boast a membership of nearly 70,000 anglers with 1,200 affiliated clubs, figures which led to the claim of being, "the biggest angling association in the world". To-day we are rather more modest about our claims and even if we are no longer the largest, we still claim to be "the best".

Both my Father and Grandfather used to be keen anglers.

The BAA certainly has some history, i didn't realise how far back it went
and more importantly still going strong...

driving along in the rain this morning got me thinking of the times i sat on my creel under the green brolly watching the rain on the river and trying to spot my float among the heavy droplets.

just been thinking of a time in the 50s when me and dad was waiting for the bus in navigation st to go fishig,stood by us was another angler, dad got chating and this Gent was waiting for his friend to pick him up in his "jam jar as he called it" i though that is strange a jam jar, and would we like to go with them to Ludlow fishing? after a while the friend pulled along side us in his car:grinning: and we pilled in and off we went for a great day's fishing, we never saw the pair again after that. what a very nice thing to do.

just been thinking of a time in the 50s when me and dad was waiting for the bus in navigation st to go fishig,stood by us was another angler, dad got chating and this Gent was waiting for his friend to pick him up in his "jam jar as he called it" i though that is strange a jam jar, and would we like to go with them to Ludlow fishing? after a while the friend pulled along side us in his car:grinning: and we pilled in and off we went for a great day's fishing, we never saw the pair again after that. what a very nice thing to do.
That’s quite a journey in the 50s, two hours or more I would imagine. Can you remember where in Ludlow you fished and if you caught much.

i do remember it was the by the castle, i dont remember what was caught i was too busy mooching around the castle than fishing that day

Last edited:
Back