• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fisher's Shop in Bacchus Road, Winson Green - THANKS

bewdley

master brummie
Fishers of Bacchus Road, Winson Green.

My mum told me a story today, which she has told me before, and I thought I would share with you.

She said when she and her mum worked at the BSA during WW2, they had to get home to Willes Road in Winson Green every night. They worked from 7 til 7 and sometimes the journey was straight forward, but they often got delayed by air raid sirens etc.

She told me when they got to Winson Green all the shops were shut, but her mum always tapped on the door of Fishers, a shop in Bacchus Road, and Mrs Fisher would open the door a crack to see who was there. She would let them in to buy a loaf of bread and sometimes ham or corned beef, if there was any, with their coupons for their meal that night or the next day. Mum said they, the Fishers, were grateful that my Mum and Gran were making guns at the BSA and that's why they would open the door to them after closing. Mum said that she didn’t know how they would have got through the war without the Fishers.

Mum had to leave the BSA when her mum became ill with TB. She was given an outdoor job as a clippie on the buses in case she spread TB in the factory.

So on behalf of my mum and grandmother I would like to say thank you to them and all others who made it possible for workers to do their jobs.

Back