• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FISHER UNKNOWN

SCOTSBRUM

Brummie babby
I am seeking help to identify and learn of the facts associated with my father ROBERT FISHER who was born and brought up in Birmingham of Ivy Fisher (Dyer) and Albert Fisher who both worked at Cadbury. Ivy Dyer Born 27/02/1908 - - The twist being that I understand my father Robert appears to have been adopted in 1930 or thereabouts. My father Robert was in Birmingham then the Royal Navy 1930 - 1950. He married Rosemary Fisher and settled in Scotland. He passed away in 2000. Any help identifying my father Robert's past.

Hi my grandparents moved around Birmingham and I think adopted my father in 1930 his date of Birth appears to be October 1930 but subject to verification. Grandparents were in Leyland and Cadburys moved in the 60s to Bournville. Sorry for the limited detail.

Hi my grandparents moved around Birmingham and I think adopted my father in 1930 his date of Birth appears to be October 1930 but subject to verification. Grandparents were in Leyland and Cadburys moved in the 60s to Bournville. Sorry for the limited detail.
Was your mother's maiden name Newby ?

Unfortunately I think, if he was adopted then there's not much about it we'd be able to tell you. If they still exist your best bet would be adoption records.

Unless there are nieces or nephews of Albert or Ivy still alive.

Albert & Ivy were living at 5 Holly Grove in 1939.

Ivy Rose Dyer was born in Bromsgrove and died in Surrey in 1998

And Albert Edward Fisher born 17 Jul 1910 (possibly Selly Oak) died 1989, registered Basingstoke.

Unfortunately I think, if he was adopted then there's not much about it we'd be able to tell you. If they still exist your best bet would be adoption records.

Unless there are nieces or nephews of Albert or Ivy still alive.

Albert & Ivy were living at 5 Holly Grove in 1939.

Ivy Rose Dyer was born in Bromsgrove and died in Surrey in 1998
Yes that is my Grandparents, I understood that legislation had it that if they, and my mother had passed I may obtain detail ? Kind Regards Roger

I'm not sure what the rules are around adoption records, there are more knowledgeable members so maybe they be able to help.

One intriguing piece of information - there is a Robert registered both as Robert Hardie mmn Fisher and as Robert Fisher in Birmingham Dec qtr 1929.

There is no Hardie/Fisher marriage registered or any other Hardie/Fisher children registered. If Robert was the son of a an unmarried sister or other relative of Albert then the 'adoption' could have been informal.

That's just speculation.

I'm not sure what the rules are around adoption records, there are more knowledgeable members so maybe they be able to help.

One intriguing piece of information - there is a Robert registered both as Robert Hardie mmn Fisher and as Robert Fisher in Birmingham Dec qtr 1929.

There is no Hardie/Fisher marriage registered or any other Hardie/Fisher children registered. If Robert was the son of a an unmarried sister or other relative of Albert then the 'adoption' could have been informal.

That's just speculation.
Your detail is most useful. I really appreciate it. Kindest Regards Roger

Unfortunately, it does appear that both Albert's sisters married prior to Robert Hardie/Fisher's birth which makes it less likely that he is one of their sons.

There seems to be only one possibility for an informal family 'adoption'.

Albert Fisher's father was a Jesse Harris/Fisher the illegitimate son of a Mary Ann Harris who then married a Charles Fisher (who may or may not be his dad). Jesse had 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

It seems one brother died before 1911 and both sisters before 1921, leaving one brother, a Philip Andrew Fisher who married an Emily Ruth Andrews in 1910. Their eldest child was a Kathleen Ruth Fisher b1911, so would have been 18 in 1929 when Robert Hardie/Fisher was born and she didn't marry until 1937 (Joseph F Railton).

Again speculation which also depends on having the correct Albert Edward Fisher.

Back