• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fisher & Ludlows factory

There were more than one factory that belonged to Fisher and Ludlow. They had a factory in Rea Street when they embarked on steel body pressings. This business expanded as more factories came into use during the 1930's.

Hello , my dad Les Peace was a riveter on the spitfires at castle brom during ww2 then worked for fishers / British Leyland for 25/30 years on production control I think ... I seem to remember he had involvement with the jag xjs when it came out ! Would love to hear off anyone who knew him or has any photos etc
Thanks

My Dad, Denis Smith was a production controller at Fishers through the 60s. His brother Sid did the same job on nights.

My dad Wilfred Thompson worked at fishers as well, my mother worked there first in 1953 and he started there in 1957 and left in 1972

My Uncle worked at Fishers for most of his working life in the Sheet Metal Dept. His Name was Frank Bond and if ever he went for a beer, he would always use the Bradford Arms- not sure were that was.
Best wishes,Mike.

I recently bought this rowntrees aero vending machine made by fisher & ludlow ( fisholow ) and would like to learn more about these vending machines, pictures etc, any info appreciated, thanks, Phil.132697132697

My mother in law came down from Glasgow, during the war, to work on the spitfires here. After the war, my father in law became a shop steward there, and my husband and brother in law both worked there for a time. Recently, i came across the place as a place to have a 'day trip' / visit - a tour of the factory, for around £45. I thought that was pretty steep!

Hi Paget: There is a thread on the forum called "The Spitfire" with many posts. Among them is one by The Baron, a long time member of the forum, who mentions the propeller gates at Castle Bromwich. No photos though. Here's a quote:

"ANY ONE EVER LOOKED AT THE GATE POSTS ON THE JAGUAR SITE JUST BY SPITFIRE ISLAND CHESTER ROAD CASTLE BROMWICH.
THE METAL ANGLE POSTS HAVE BUILT IN TO THEM SPITFIRES PROP'S & SPINNERS.A REMINDER OF THE GREAT FACTORY THAT PRODUCED THAT FANTASTIC AIRCRAFT.'
(I AM SORRY IF THIS MAY HAVE BEEN POSTED BEFORE)
Ju

Does anyone remember the lad that fell through the glass roof .worked for Alf Ramsey's Glassing Co from Ipswich in the 70s.It killed him ,it was in E Block

HI Kevin,
I worked at F.L. in the 50s and I left in 1960 to get married. In those days when you got married it was quite normal to give up working. I started as a clerk in the transport office and I was taking pitmans shorthand lessons after work. I was very lucky, because of this I was promoted the the Cost & Damage Managers secretary. Which entailed going on to the factory floor with my boss, and taking down in shorthand the extent of any damage occuring on the shop floor. We also used to take pictures of the damage. Those were very happy days my boss was called Alan Whittaker and I often wondered what happened to him. I made many friends during my time there but sadly as the years go by you seem to loose touch. I had not thought about F.L until I read your post. I am sure there will be lots of people with lots of mermories . Names I remeber, George Bousefield who worked with Alan & me and from the transport office, Gwen, Pat, Brenda, Stan Appleby,Shelia and Thelma, Thanks Kevin for jogging my memory.
Pauline.

Hello Pauline,

I came across your post whilst browsing the forum and i picked up on the name George Bousefield he was my Mother-in-Laws brother (my Wife's uncle) who sadly passed away at Fishers I'm told. A mention also for Ronnie Leek (Mother-in-Laws Brother-in-Law & also my Wife's uncle who worked there for several years.

Lozellian.

Hi Pauline, you mention George Bousefield - did he live in Grosvenor Street West, Ladywood?

Hello Mallosa,

I came across your post whilst browsing the forum and I picked up on the name George Bousfield he was my Mother-in-Laws (Olive) brother (my Wife's uncle) who sadly passed away whilst working nights at Fishers. I asked my Wife if that was his old address & she confirmed that indeed it was. He had two children (Linda & John). A mention also for Ronnie Leek (Mother-in-Laws Brother-in-Law & also my Wife's uncle who also worked there for several years.

Lozellian.

My Uncle worked at Fishers for most of his working life in the Sheet Metal Dept. His Name was Frank Bond and if ever he went for a beer, he would always use the Bradford Arms- not sure were that was.
Best wishes,Mike.
Great pub...……..not sure its still there.

My dad worked at Fisher and Ludlow during WW2 and I think in the Bradford Street area. His name was Edward Hyland and he came from Heywood in Lancashire. Not sure what they did at this site and that is what I am trying to find out. He married Norah Garghan at St Anne's church off Bradford Street and they moved back North sometime after the war. Don't think anyone will remember him but I am interested in finding out what he did during the war. We have a massive great coat he had as the Home Guard but his work? Not sure.

One of the lads we knocked around with 1953 to 1960 was called Gordon Bott, lived in Ermington Crescent, his wife was called Christine, his father also worked there. I think his father was a shop steward. When we moved to Devon, Christmas cards passed between us for a few years and then we lost touch.
Bob Davis
Hope you are well my family are George and Sylvie Hopton sadly past know were great friends of the Bott family , they still live in Longbridge I think .

My family worked at FL for years after ww2, my dad George Hopton and uncle's Tommy and Erni and Bob Booten . They were in C block heavy press. Erni ran coached the boxing teem and was a good Birmingham boxer known as young Upton .

Back