• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fisher & Co, Tamworth

107 OG

Hi everyone,

I have really enjoyed reading and looking up things on this excellent website, and wonder if anyone can help me with some research.

Our steam engine was new to Fisher & Co, paper millers of Tamworth. On the new British Newspaper Archive I found their closing down sale notice from 1937:

image.jpeg

Does anyone know of any more information? I'm going to keep trawling the archive and have some pictures from the Tamworth picture archive of the works; anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a mention of the firm in the 1862 directory as Fisher Charles, and Co Kettlebrook, there is no mention of the firm in the 1828 directory

Fishers papermakers are listed in Kellys in 1880 and 1904, but as at Kettlebrook. In 1861 Charles Fisher & Co papermakers are at Bolehall, so they must have moved from there.
In 1924 the only paper mills listed in Tamworth in Kellys are Charles Marsden & sons, Alders mill, Alders
I wonder therefore if Fishers had closed down some time before 1937
Mike

Kellys 1851 directory says C Fisher & Co , papermakers & stainers, are at alders Mill , and Charles Fisher lives at alder cottage.
No mention in Pigotts 1835 directory

What a shame I had an elderly client in her 90's who I did some family history research for. Her grandfather was a boiler man at Alders Paper Mill in 1880. She told me her father worked there as well,they lived in the village of Hopwas. So sad she passed away earlier this year she would have given so much info I was always amazed at her recall of her family. How I wish I had listened more.:(

Hi
I have just read of your interest in Fishers mill in Kettlebrook on this site. I have a copy of an article from "The paper-maker and British paper trade journal September 2nd 1912" called Messrs Fisher & co Ltd, A visit to Kettlebrook Mills Tamworth. It is 16 pages with many pictures of the inside and outside of the mill. Some of the quality of the pictures are not very good but they are interesting all the same. If you are interested can you let e know the best way to get a copy to you.

I think you will also get info from the Tamworth Herald Archives - if you go to www.thisistamworth.co.uk and then contact us, you can e-mail your request to them and they will get back to you. They have a huge amount of archived material from the paper going back into the 18th century.
Paper mills were one of Tamworths big industries, Fisher at Kettlebrook was well known and I think it merged to become the Alders Mills and moved from its Kettlebrook site to the Alders Mill site on the Lichfield Road,that has now been demolished and there is a housing estate called the Alders there, although some of the housing associated with the mill is still there.
Hope this is helpful,
Sue

Hi
I have just read of your interest in Fishers mill in Kettlebrook on this site. I have a copy of an article from "The paper-maker and British paper trade journal September 2nd 1912" called Messrs Fisher & co Ltd, A visit to Kettlebrook Mills Tamworth. It is 16 pages with many pictures of the inside and outside of the mill. Some of the quality of the pictures are not very good but they are interesting all the same. If you are interested can you let e know the best way to get a copy to you.
I am very interested to see this post and would welcome a view of your 16 page journal. I don't know forum rules about posting email address? I am going to include a mobile here for you to text and we will see if moderator allows this or advises another approach. I have four relatives who worked at Fishers Mill and I want to gather as much info as If needed I can travel to Birmingham area (from Notts) to pick up hard copy. I would be able to try to use Photoshop to improve what you say are poor copies. I worked in paper and related industries for 47 years. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentman, I have deleted your phone number.
The member has not been on this forum for almost 4 years but is still registered, you may be able to make contact by clicking into her name and clicking 'start a conversation' her email account will inform her that there is a message for her on BHF.

Hi
Hi, I've just read your email about Fishers Mill and I'm very interested in the article you have. I am currently researching an ancestor of mine, Frederick William Dobson, who was a director of Fishers the first quarter of the 20th century. Can you help me at all, please?

Back