• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

Big Jim

Can anyone remember the name of the tiny jars of fish paste back in the 50/60s? They were not Shippams or Princess as they were slightly taller jars. Some of the flavours were Beef & Tomato, Sardines & Tomato, Salmon and other varieties.

The photo is very close to the jars mentioned, but not a screw thread as pictured.
Fish Paste jar 1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
I only remember Shippams, though admittedly I lived about a mile from the factory, so they probably did not let other firms into the local shops,

Can anyone remember the name of the tiny jars of fish paste back in the 50/60s? They were not Shippams or Princess as they were slightly taller jars. Some of the flavours were Beef & Tomato, Sardines & Tomato, Salmon and other varieties.
My favourite was Shipphams sardine and tomato.

The brand you are thinking of in a dumpy jar may have been 'Brands'?

Annie

yuk i had some crab paste not so long ago it was like soggy tishoo paper

Last edited:
I remember them being thin with a really flat top. Did some come in a tin or am I dreaming? I recall they were bitty and had like a smoky taste that caught the tongue like when you lick a bit of cloth by mistake. I think they were blue lids.

Nico
you are not thinking of gentleman's relish are you?
No Mike but that used to come in a flat ceramic jar as I recall with beautiful pictures on the lid, I remember later white fish paste opaque pots again not tall, and tapering inwards, dad used them as ashtrays, mum refused to empty, he used baccy tins too, I used to wash them on a Saturday for her but if I threw them out he would glare severely at me.
The ones I remember were about 3 inches high and 2 and a bit circumference, with this really thin in depth lid. I could never open them. They had meat and chicken and crab paste in too. Bleurgh! Could they have been the Co Op's own brand.?

CWS also did their own fish and meat pastes in small jars. Shippams bloater paste....memories are made of these. Do you remember sandwich spread? Bottled by Heinz and one or two others. The surrealist in me sees TV advertising for a jar of sardine and tomato for M&S, Lidl, Waitress and all the rest, I will leave you all (or those resident in the US of A y'all), to fill in the blanks. Presumably, Publix, Winn Dixie, Safèway, Walmart et Al run the same set of Competitive TV ads and for you Aussies, Woolworths.
Bob

Yes I remember Peck's anchovette paste. We used to put it on our toast. Funny how it's called anchovette when it's only 4% anchovy but it's so tasty. You can still buy it here.

1641984087467.png1641984131565.png

Back