• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish Market Wholesale 1869

We moved to Kent in1984,but have come up every year to put flowers on parents graves at Witton & Sutton Crematorium.We always stayed at my wife's cousins in Old Walsall Rd,and called in at the Fish & Meat MKTS to get Black Pudding,Pigs Tails and lovely Pork Pies ( Haven't got a clue how to make them down here).Sadly all relatives have passed away so won't visit Brum anymore.

My brother worked for ROB PRYKE in the market on the Fish side for him between 1951-56 then went in the Army .National Service

My Grandfather David Yates had four stalls in the fish market pre forties, known as Yates Brothers they were fish mongers and poulterers, supplying many local hotels etc.
I Remember that it was bombed, always suggested there were no planes over Birmingham that night.?

The opening of the fish market is normally given as 1869, it moving from a site in the street, But it looks like the market was held on that site for a short time before the building was built. this is a cutting from the birmingham Post 25.10.1867
View attachment 119572
Reading the cutting, posted by Mike, I noticed the reference to Torbay. It was interesting to note the reference to some of the ship owners being from Birmingham. Just over a year before the date of the cutting a severe storm hit Torbay and parts of the English Channel. The following link details the disaster which claimed very many lives and loss of fishing smacks.
I have seen some outbuilding in the town which used some of the salvaged ships timbers, some I had here.

I wonder how the Birmingham owners fared? Were they insured and were they able to get new or replacement vessels?
The industry did soon pick up I believe.

Whilst fishing is still very much a 'You sails by permission' occupation it does have modern day methods of help i.e. shipping and weather forecasting plus motorised craft which are able to manouvre more easily from trouble than the sailed craft of yesteryear.
Pre WW2 it was said that over 400 fishing smacks were registered in Brixham. It is still a very busy port as is Plymouth and Newlyn.
1569066143409.png One of six or so Brixham smack survivors'

Last edited:
Reading the cutting, posted by Mike, I noticed the reference to Torbay. It was interesting to note the reference to some of the ship owners being from Birmingham. Just over a year before the date of the cutting a severe storm hit Torbay and parts of the English Channel. The following link details the disaster which claimed very many lives and loss of fishing smacks.
I have seen some outbuilding in the town which used some of the salvaged ships timbers, some I had here.

I wonder how the Birmingham owners fared? Were they insured and were they able to get new or replacement vessels?
The industry did soon pick up I believe.

Whilst fishing is still very much a 'You sails by permission' occupation it does have modern day methods of help i.e. shipping and weather forecasting plus motorised craft which are able to manouvre more easily from trouble than the sailed craft of yesteryear.
Pre WW2 it was said that over 400 fishing smacks were registered in Brixham. It is still a very busy port as is Plymouth and Newlyn.
View attachment 137741 One six or so Brixham smack survivors'
That is one beautiful sailing ship!

My Grandfather David Yates had four stalls in the fish market pre forties, known as Yates Brothers they were fish mongers and poulterers, supplying many local hotels etc.
I Remember that it was bombed, always suggested there were no planes over Birmingham that night.?

welcome to the forum fincher...thanks for the post...enjoy

lyn

This all reminds me of shopping before the large scale opening of supermarkets. Yes some cities, in their suburbs, and many towns still have smaller, often family owned, shops. Your local butcher, grocer, greengrocer and other suppliers knew you and you knew them. They could try an Arkwright on you but rarely got away with it. Some were very jocular and were a laugh a minute - but that is how they kept their trade. Others had their own traits but 'misery guts' types might soon find their business diminished. Locally owned buses might stop outside elderly of infirm peoples home and whilst times were, for a large part of the population hard, the neighbourliness - not easily found now in many places - did ease hardships.
The world has changed - in the main people have changed it by their support or demands for more - but we have to live in the present, like it or not. I and, I am sure, most on BHF avoid the rat race and still find pleasure in the simpler aspects of life; even if using modern technologies to achieve it.

This all reminds me of shopping before the large scale opening of supermarkets. Yes some cities, in their suburbs, and many towns still have smaller, often family owned, shops. Your local butcher, grocer, greengrocer and other suppliers knew you and you knew them. They could try an Arkwright on you but rarely got away with it. Some were very jocular and were a laugh a minute - but that is how they kept their trade. Others had their own traits but 'misery guts' types might soon find their business diminished. Locally owned buses might stop outside elderly of infirm peoples home and whilst times were, for a large part of the population hard, the neighbourliness - not easily found now in many places - did ease hardships.
The world has changed - in the main people have changed it by their support or demands for more - but we have to live in the present, like it or not. I and, I am sure, most on BHF avoid the rat race and still find pleasure in the simpler aspects of life; even if using modern technologies to achieve it.
Radiorails, very well said!

A 1950s Christmas fish market scene. The caption suggests the boys are studying the quality of the products on sale. But I suggest they’re more likely discussing the gory details of how they met their end. Viv.

7215083F-4FCB-4CB0-BB1A-83E4763CF381.jpeg

Back