• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish&Chip shop scratchings

cearnegiant

master brummie
In very early 1960s lived in Tile Cross road,We kids would go to local chip shop called "Bedfords" They would sell us kids bag of scratchings for a penny.It was the bits of fried batter from the fish,If lucky would get bits of the cod mixed in.It was Heaven

cearnegiant, the scratchings are the best part of a fish and chip meal :) One of my local chippys will give me a bag if they have enough and I ask nicely ! I don't ask often though...way to many calories !!

Mrs Jacksons Cliffton Road ASTON in the 50s loads for free & if you were lucky you my even get a small bit of battered fish in them, O that does jog the old grey cells :0)

What I miss now is that Chip shops down here dont sell roe and chips.Can get the tinned roe but nothing like fresh cod roe and chips.

hi cearnegiant
thats a shameyou cannot get the fresh roe still tin roe aint that bad i some times have it myself
it all depends how many coppers i have in my pocket at he time to whether i get fresh or tin i like
but bear in mind the poor owner whom as to p[ay high cost to bring it into the shopit cost a leg and a arm now
and if they aint got enough customers to buy it they would be out of pocket
like the fish [ cod ] it highly expensive and it comes in carboard boxes i do not weight they bring it in now
but years ago it was in wooden boxes and the whole salers sold it by the stone whom supplied chippies
my grand parents at the aston cross used to pay i shilling and six pence for a stone in the wooden bo then it went to four shilling and six pence now cod is getting scaresed christ only knows what it cost i pay four pounds and ten pence for a peice of cod in redditch
which i get every wednesday night with out fail along with my chips which is another two pounds
so i dare not asked for the scratching as i also can recall the scratching was free if you asked for them but as the years went on
i am to beleive it had to stop being given away under the shop health and hygiene rules which is tommy rott
best wishes astonian

I moan that cannot get Cod roe but suppose with the problem of reducing cod stocks. its understandable. Went to visit my Daughter in Lincoln and there Chip shop will only give Haddock,if wanted Cod was specially cooked.Farmers talking about problems with this years potatoe crops. so expect price of chips to increase by end of year. Its no more expensive to get chinese takeaway,but still enjoy good old Cod and chips.

Love the scratchings too, but more than a penny when I used to get them, but our local chippy thinks it's hilarious when I ask for the scratchings with my chips. They didn't at Blists Hill though last week, quite happily added a pile of them to our fish n chips and the batter was lovely, really crisp and tasty!!
For anyone living out on the Burton on Trent side of town, a ride to the Happy Chef is a must, its just outside Burton on the A444 - the Measham side and they do a Thursday meal deal with fish chips and peas or cuury sauce or beans, bread and butter and a cup of tea or cold drink for 6.95, the fish is lovely and you can have cod or haddock and I think plaice is 50p more. They had fresh roe as well last time we went, lovely too!
Sue

Sounds nice Sue,,,My Aunt had two Fish chip shops in Shipston on Stour,my job when visting was to chip the potatoes. One potatoe at a time in the chipper,pull the handle and chips dropped into a Galvanished bucket. They kept there batter recipe secret,Think they put beer in it

As mentioned in a previous posting my favorite memory of scratchings comes from a small fish and chip shop which I believe was situated close to and opposite the Victoria Rd swimming baths. The kind people there always seemed to recognise their 'regulars' with towels rolled up under their arms looking longingly at the pile of scratchings. In those days the melt in your mouth, fish flavoured, gourmet's delight were the closest we kids could get to a helping of real fish and chips. My mouth is watering right now! I can visualize the labeling that would have to be attached today ..... Fat 50% of daily limit ... Calories 400 a heap .... Cholesteral 50% ..... Nutritional Value 0 ........ Pleasure 100%

Special treat when kid was taken to Picadilly cinema on Stratford road Sparkbrook and into Mermaid Fish chip shop on way home for bag chips.Was taken to see Bridge on River Kwai at the Picadilly and actually had chips with bread and butter at the table inside Mermaid.That was extra special treat

Museum_Stores_018.jpg
Just found these photo's taken a few years ago at the Museum Stores what a beautiful fryer!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I Remember The Fish And Chip Shop Over DUDDESTON MILL That's Where We Got Our Penny Worth Of Scratchings From Happy Memories

Just found these photo's taken a few years ago at the Museum Stores what a beautiful fryer!!

Wendy

I worked out that the location of that fish fryer in the storage depot in Dollman St was just about where the kitchen of our family home in Inkerman Street stood.

Phil

what a great fryer that is wend...it has an art decco look about it...

brilliant....

lyn

I can remember the pie warmer too, the chippy in Sutton had one, I was only about 4 and it fascinated me watching the pies go round, I thought they would fall off!!
Just be glad all you Brummies that you don't live in Birkenhead on the Wirral - we moved my daughter there yesterday and trolled round for half an hour looking for a plain ordinary chippy with no joy - plenty of kebabs, chinese and indian food but no chip shop!!!
Sue

do's anyone remember the chichen rotissarys that came in about the same time, a cabinett with about 7 or 8 whole chichens roasting at the same time, they had one at the chippy on bristol road selly oak near the oak cinema.
paul

Back