• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

fish and chip shops

fish'n'chips

Hi John, i always liked the chippy in potters hill just up from the Bartons Arms,then secondly the one next to hay place by the Globe, you seemed to get more bits in theirs. Chips don't seem to have the same taste today: Maybe it was the wrapping in newspaper that added to the taste.
Back then, they didn't fry in oil (it hadn't been created) it was usually dripping, and that has always given a bag of chips THAT SPECIAL flavour. Of course it was bad for us, according to the modern way of Healthy eating....I am 82, still here, and still would love a bag cooked in dripping!

Back then, they didn't fry in oil (it hadn't been created) it was usually dripping, and that has always given a bag of chips THAT SPECIAL flavour. Of course it was bad for us, according to the modern way of Healthy eating....I am 82, still here, and still would love a bag cooked in dripping!
i would willingly give you a bag if you are out this way give me a shout.

I've been following this thread with great interest...
Battered scallops on our menu.. meant scallops (shellfish) in batter and battered scollops... meant sliced potato in batter.
Big difference in price.

Annie

Scalloped potatoes got its name from the Old English word “collop” which means “to slice thinly”
dont know if it s true
it can date back to 1853. A navy lieutenant named Vanderbilt had a holiday to a tourist resort in New York City in spring. One day ,he complained to his cook that the potato chips were too thick. So the cook determined to take a joke to the lieutenant, he cut the potatoes into thin chips liked a piece of paper, then he fried the chips in oil and subsequently he added some flavouring on the potato chips. Unbelievablely, the lieutenant thought it tasted so good. Then it became the scalloped potatoes today.

I quite like the Scotch pie (posh), or we called them the mutton pie. Had one in the horseshoe Bar a few years back with chips and beans. The beans have to be poured over the pie. Its cost £4.50 for two meals.

How many Brits order chips in the US only to get crisps on their plate !
Americans call them “fries” and the French call them “frites”, :grinning:
Crisps are chips over here too.

How about Moules Frites? Popular over here. The frites are easy.

Tap each moule (mussel) lightly and discard any that remain open or have broken shells.
Rinse well under cold running water and use a stiff brush to remove any barnacles or grit from the shells.
Pull off any fibrous strands that might be hanging out between the shells.

In a large saucepan melt 60g butter over medium heat.
Add 55g peeled and finely chopped shallots, 6 peeled and finely chopped garlic cloves, a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots and garlic are soft and wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add 750ml dry white wine and 15g chopped flat-leaf parsley and bring to the boil.
Add the mussels to the saucepan, stirring them a few times, then cover and steam for about 5 minutes until the mussels open, lifting the lid midway during cooking to give them a stir. If any don't open, discard them.
Remove from heat and serve the mussels in the sauce with French fries and coarse bread, to soak up the liquid. Cold white wine as an accompaniment. The way to eat them is to pull the shells fully open by hand, and tear out the moule with your teeth !
Eat the frites normally.

Andrew.

My g.grandma Mary Ann Yates had a fish & chip shop at 26 Newtown Row in 1881, and her father Richard Birch was a fishmonger at 65 Gt. Hampton Street in 1881. A number of my g. aunts and g.g. aunts also had fish shops (1) 13 Constitution Hill 1881, (2) 51 Stafford Street 1881, (3) 127 Summer Lane 1891, (4) 29 Wheeler Street 1891.
Hi sylviasayers: Only recently found this thread, it has been a great read. Apologies for the delay in responding.
In the sixties I worked in Aston Brook Street. I was a junior and would often run errands. From memory I would go to a chip shop in Newtown Row for our lunches. Unfortunately, I do not know if it was 26. I think it was going towards Miller Street. It was run by a Greek couple and they had two sons, Andy and Steve. Andy worked in the shop and Steve was a hairdresser/barber? He had a shop in the city centre. They were a lovely family.
In the early seventies, I was temping and had a placement in the Accounts department at the Birmingham Post & Mail, Colmore Circus. My cousin Christine worked in the cashiers department there, she had a friend Ingrid who worked in another part of the company. These two young ladies went on to marry the guys from the chip shop. Christine had a lovely Greek wedding at the Tower Ballroom.

When I was a youngster our local fish and chip shop was in Coleshill Street, Birmingham 4. This too was run by a lovely Greek family, think it was called The Blackpool. It was opposite the post office. Further along on the opposite side by the Gaiety, was Bob's. Their uniform was starch white overalls with hat to match. This is where we would get our bag of scratchings, as we called them. Mmmmmm. In the opposite direction but still in Coleshill Street and going towards Ashted Row was yet another chip shop. Think this one may have been called Hughes' (or not). I have no bad memories of any of these shops, so the fish and chips must have been okay. It has been lovely walking down memory lane again. I wish I had some pics of Coleshill Street in the late fifties and early sixties, to share with you. I hope that most things I have said are correct. Apologies if not. It was a long time ago. Kind regards , Sue

Last edited:
I cant recall any that were particlaulrygood as a youngster .

I do remember in 1980,s that the chip shop at the bottom of coventry road near to where asda is Bedders i think won a prize for thiers .

And they were v nice indeed ..

The reason that fish and chipps toadt are not so good is the oil used ..

They used to use beef dripping for cooking fish and chips but this cahnged to vegetable oils .

Harry Ramsdens still use beef dripping as far as I,m aware and I know they are a franchise they do taste much bettar than most.

There was a big ramsdens along cov rd which now seems to be a macdonalds although i have noticed on my travels that they are apprearing at the motorway service stations .. I think there is one up at the Tamworth services off the a5.
Remember Harry Ramsdens on Coventry Road, me and my mom used to get two buses to get there. Didn't do that too often.

Back