• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fish and chip shops

Just had to give a shout out to the Empire Fish Restaurant beside The Locarno in Hurst Street, not only great chips but where I had my first Doner Kebab! Run and owned by Vassus, retired now, last known living in Moseley. Its now a Dixie Chicken.

I once had a stuck up pretentious girl friend, I told her I was taking her for a Greek Meal, you should have seen her face when I took her into the Empire Fish Restaurant for a kebab!

A great night out Red Sun in The Locarno and The Empire Fish Restaurant and you could even park the car nearby!

Attachments

• hurst st.jpg
    hurst st.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 18
Just had to give a shout out to the Empire Fish Restaurant beside The Locarno in Hurst Street, not only great chips but where I had my first Doner Kebab! Run and owned by Vassus, retired now, last known living in Moseley. Its now a Dixie Chicken.

I once had a stuck up pretentious girl friend, I told her I was taking her for a Greek Meal, you should have seen her face when I took her into the Empire Fish Restaurant for a kebab!

A great night out Red Sun in The Locarno and The Empire Fish Restaurant and you could even park the car nearby!
Penns, we must have dated the same girl :)

fish'n'chips

Hi John, i always liked the chippy in potters hill just up from the Bartons Arms,then secondly the one next to hay place by the Globe, you seemed to get more bits in theirs. Chips don't seem to have the same taste today: Maybe it was the wrapping in newspaper that added to the taste.
I used to live next door to that chippy in potters hill Mick 710. They were a lovely family, from what I remember.

The three I remember were Winnines, on Streetly Road by the 65-bus terminus. It had this hand chipping machine for the potatoes. They sold it to a Greek family who did it up and called it the Blue Lagoon. I have a feeling it is still there.

There was a corner grocery shop known as Richards on Short Heath Road and Anderson Road. That became the Chickens Tears when a Greek chap bought it. Not a bad chippy that one.

Finally, there was one on Kyotts Lake Road, Sparkbrook. Had a very old-fashioned range on the back wall. Cooked his chips in beef dripping and am sure his wife had a blue rinse. He was quite loud and extrovert. Would count your change loudly into you hand in great detail.

The three I remember were Winnines, on Streetly Road by the 65-bus terminus. It had this hand chipping machine for the potatoes. They sold it to a Greek family who did it up and called it the Blue Lagoon. I have a feeling it is still there.

There was a corner grocery shop known as Richards on Short Heath Road and Anderson Road. That became the Chickens Tears when a Greek chap bought it. Not a bad chippy that one.

Finally, there was one on Kyotts Lake Road, Sparkbrook. Had a very old-fashioned range on the back wall. Cooked his chips in beef dripping and am sure his wife had a blue rinse. He was quite loud and extrovert. Would count your change loudly into you hand in great detail.
Mort, it seems to me that cooking the chips in beef dripping was the silver bullet. There was a restaurant near where we used to live that served a lot of beef and cooked their chips in the dripping (as good as the beef), they were wonderful. Unfortunately they are 900 miles from where we are now!

I used to live next door to that chippy in potters hill Mick 710. They were a lovely family, from what I remember.
I remember that one well it was in Potters Lane about halfway down between Park Lane and The Bartons Arms. I lived in Potters hill just above Park Lane. I can remember some people saving the newspapers for them. Think back to what they cost back then in the 50s to what they cost now. Eye watering.
Ken.

I remember that one well it was in Potters Lane about halfway down between Park Lane and The Bartons Arms. I lived in Potters hill just above Park Lane. I can remember some people saving the newspapers for them. Think back to what they cost back then in the 50s to what they cost now. Eye watering.
Ken.
We lived next door, one up from the chippy. I can remember my dad throwing some plastic train track on the fire, & our chimney caught fire. Our Chimney pot was knocked of the top, right through the roof of the chippy & into the shop.Luckily, no-one was in there at the time. We got on so well with them, until we had to move, due to the redevolopment of the area. Loved the sweet shop that was between the bartons arm & the chippy. I seem to remember it being called John's.

Mort, it seems to me that cooking the chips in beef dripping was the silver bullet. There was a restaurant near where we used to live that served a lot of beef and cooked their chips in the dripping (as good as the beef), they were wonderful. Unfortunately they are 900 miles from where we are now!
I went into the fish and chip shop in kyotts lake road in the early 70s when my gran passed - my mom knew the family do you know if it was still in the same family and their name - mom has dementia and im trying to piece things together for her

I went into the fish and chip shop in kyotts lake road in the early 70s when my gran passed - my mom knew the family do you know if it was still in the same family and their name - mom has dementia and im trying to piece things together for her
To be honest, I don’t know. When I used this chippy, I was a student at an annex on Stratford Road of Birmingham Poly in 1972. I had the impression that the guy who owned it had been there forever, but thanks only an opinion.

Back