• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fish and chip shops

Hi Mike,

You must have really wolfed those cod and chips, - it's no more than a couple of hundred yards from the chippie to
the outer circle!

They were lovely chips from there though. Was it about the end of the 50's when Mr Lambros took over?

Kind regards

Dave

Hi

Not sure Dave I just grabbed them? I went to Albert Road amazing area of little shops.
We all sat in the back Room while the Barbers cut hair. Next to the Sweat Shop?

Mike Jenks

My Aunt Betty Middleham ran a chip shop in Stoney Lane opposite Wilton St, Sparkbrook in 1954. Does anyone remember the shop on the corner of Victoria Road & Potters Hill,Aston that changed from a grocers to a Chip shop around 1963? Their cod was superb. I remember that the lady had a huge beehive hairstyle.

Re: Fish & Chip Shops has anybody got a picture before it was bombed.

The junction of Victoria Rd, Lichfield Rd, Sandy Lane, Church Lane. opposite Doctors Goulds on the corner of Sandy Lane and Atwoods the newsagents, just up from Frank Grounds.

I remember the was Tobacconist, Fish & Chip shop, and a Post Office.

Yes the Germans bombed our Chip Shop.

Can any body tell me the date they was bombed, I remember the morning after it was a glorious sunny morning the three shops lay across the tram tracks trams could only go as far as Taylors the toy shop then they were transferred across to return to Steelhouse Lane

I believe there was also in the rubble an unexploded bomb which the Sappers were steaming out the deternator, there was a horrible smell of gas, dust, and burning wood and a yellow AFS fire pump damping down.

Three great chippies that spring to mind, Barker Street (opposite Cowdrills Cycle Shop), The Chicken Inn Villa Road (Friday nights after cubs for chips, scratchings & a pickled onion) and Chris's (Aston Lane), coming home from the Villa games (win or lose) on a Saturday & sometimes midweek.

Lozellian

Forgot to add Wynetts / Winnets? chippie Lozells Road, (went to school with daughter Sylvia) good helpings & the occasional freebie bonus!!

Lozellian

fish'n'chips

Hi John, i always liked the chippy in potters hill just up from the Bartons Arms,then secondly the one next to hay place by the Globe, you seemed to get more bits in theirs. Chips don't seem to have the same taste today: Maybe it was the wrapping in newspaper that added to the taste.
I used to live next door to that chippy in Potters Hill, which is now potters lane. If my memory serves me well, I think our door number was 20. Just down from the chippy toward the bartons arm was a sweet shop. I think it was known locally as John's. This was around 1958-1964 i think. We had the Bartons Arms pub at the bottom of the road & The Shareholders at top on the corner of Potters Lane & Park Lane. The last time I went int the shareholders for a drink, was my last. As I got in through the door, all I saw were naked women. They had started having strip nights on a friday. I could not get out quickly enough. I think I was about 20 at the time. ( I was young & naive).Though it has all changed now, with new roads being built over the years. Where my old house & the chippy used to be is now the new ParkLane road lay out. Sadly, both my parents are no longer with us, but they would have known the name of the chippy owners. We had a glass roof over our kitchen, as did the chippy. Such lovely fish & chips i seem to remember. I went to Burlington street school, & hated my first day, but remember my lovely teacher (Miss Rock) making the whole class of new pupils feel welcome by taking us all to Billy Smarts Circus, just to ease us into school life. I never looked back. I did not like the week ends or holidays because I wanted to be in school. Hated leaving.

Last edited:
>>>>it was owned by the jelf`s (ernest) my grandfather, the one next to billard hall aston cross
>>>and my mom was joyce ivvy jelf

Did your Jelfs originate in Banbury before moving to Brum - if so we may have a connection
I remember my father talking about the Jelf's. Sadly, he is no longer alive, so not able to get more info from him. If I remember correctly, my dad used to go to school with one of the jelf's. Unfortunately, I do not remember which one or at what school this was.

The chip shop I remember as a child was on Lozells Road adjacent to the Co-op and roughly opposite the Royal Oak public house. As we lived in William Street it was quite close. The last person I remember running it was a huge fat Welshman who everyone knew as Taffy ( no surprises there !! ) He also ran a Sunday school in the nearby Gower Street school and was always trying to get the kids interested ( without too much success as I recall ) At the back of the shop were two steps up into a room where you could 'eat in' if you wanted to. We sometimes used to and I loved the 'chip shop vinegar' much more than the proper stuff at home.

Colin
Hi
I didn’t know his name was Taffy but I know he was a lovely man. If the chips were not quite ready to be served he would place a big fat chip on the counter and say, have that while you are waiting. It would taste so good. How nice was that? They certainly wouldn’t do that today!
Regards
Linda

Our chippy while your waiting gives a small portion to pass round.Its been taken over by some Polish people. You have to queue now

My Aunt Betty Middleham ran a chip shop in Stoney Lane opposite Wilton St, Sparkbrook in 1954. Does anyone remember the shop on the corner of Victoria Road & Potters Hill,Aston that changed from a grocers to a Chip shop around 1963? Their cod was superb. I remember that the lady had a huge beehive hairstyle.
Hi
I remember a chip shop on Potters Lane (although we called it Potters Hill) just up from the Bartons Arms. The lady there had immaculate reddish hair. It was styled in a pleat at the back. I recall her being well groomed wearing lipstick, she wasn’t very tall. My mom enjoyed the fish and chips from there.
I preferred the chips from the corner of Lennox Street/ Clifford Street. If you were one of the first customers on a Friday night you were able to buy a shillings worth of battered fish tails. They were just little pieces of battered fish. Very tasty! Also they had a microwave. If our order required a Telfers steak and kidney pie, mom would say, tell them I don’t want
the pie electrocuted in that oven thing! Ha ha. Funny really because, in later years she loved her microwave!
Such happy days!
Regards
Linda

Back