• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fish and Chip Shop, Potters Lane, Aston

lafisher170

Hi, my grandparents apparently ran the fish and chip shop on Potters Lane just up from the Barton Arms and Hippodrome around 1964....It is on longer there, has anyone got any further information about this....

Thanks
:)

In the 1964 directory there is a
18 Potters Lane, Hancox I and J fried fish Dlrs it was there for 5 or 6 years

Hi, my grandparents apparently ran the fish and chip shop on Potters Lane just up from the Barton Arms and Hippodrome around 1964....It is on longer there, has anyone got any further information about this....

Thanks

I can still smell those chips today!! Tasted great too. We left Aston in 1964 Alf, I seem to remember using that Chip after we left. In my trips back to see my friends who were still living in Aston. I couldn't bring myself to just "up and leave" and never go back.

When I was very young in the 40's I remember that my sisters went up tp Potters Hill, as we called it, to get chitterlings. I think it was the fish and chip shop they went to.

Which Mike do you mean Reg? I lived in Guildford Street but my Step Grandfather lived in Milton Street in the 1910's

Hello Mike. I thought you! lived in Milton street. Something I was reading a while back now something about number 41 Which is where I was brought up after my Great Grandparents died there my Mom and Dad moved in.

hi lafisher...here is a pic of potters hill ...think there are a couple more pics somewhere on the forum though and if i can find them i will post for you..:)
Replacement Photo

Potters%20Hill_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The fish & chip shop next to the Barton's Arms, was actually in Potters Lane. Potters Hill started after crossing Park Lane by the Shareholders Pub.
I can't quite remember the name - Robinsons - comes in my mind but not sure, anyway they sold marvellos fish & chips, and there was always a very long queue on Friday teatimes. I seem to remember they later opened another shop in Upper Sutton Street, near to Victoria Road.

Mike Ingram, there was a cooked meat shop almost opposite the chip shop on the corner of Potters Lane/Barton Street, and that is where your sister would have bought chitterlings, they also sold tripe & onions, faggots and peas etc.

Thanks everyone for your comments. My grandparents were Jack and Ivy Hancox who owned the chip shop, but they only had it a few years...

Thanks everyone for your comments. My grandparents were Jack and Ivy Hancox who owned the chip shop, but they only had it a few years...

you are most welcome lafisher....would you happen to have any photos of the erea...would love to see any you may have..

lyn

in 1955 john and ivy m hancox were at 227 clifton rd. just by potters hill (according to electoral rolls)

Welcome lafisher,I think the fish and chip shop you are looking for is on this picture.Moss
Potters%20Lane%20Aston_circa_1969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am researching my family tree and in the 1901 Census my Gt Gt G/Mother Fanny Wilkes, Gt G/Mother Sarah Johnson and my G/Mother lived there. Fanny listed her occupation as fried fish shop and coffee house.

Census 1901 Fanny Wilkes.jpg

Hi Rob,i think your g g grandmothers shop would have been near the bottom of Potters Lane.moss

Attachments

• Potters Lane,looking towards High St,Aston..jpg
    Potters Lane,looking towards High St,Aston..jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 44
The photo Mossg posted shows the fish & chip next door or next door but one to the Bartons Arms, excellent fare in the 1960s.

Thanks
Hi there, I'm rather late to the party but I wondered if you found anymore information about the Fish & Chip shop at 18 Potters Lane? I am currently looking at my families history and have found a census dated 1911 stating that my great-great grandparents (Sanford & Emily Starkey) and their son Robert lived at 18 Potters Lane. Emily's occupation was written as "Fried Fish Trade" and Robert was "Assistant at Fried Fish Shop".

hi alex...what sort of info are you looking for...post 2 confirms that no 18 was indeed a chippy and post 10 shows a photograph of the shop

lyn

18 Potters' Lane shown here (obscured by post unfortunately).

Attachments

• 18-Potters-lane.jpg
    18-Potters-lane.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 18-potters-lane-1912.jpg
    18-potters-lane-1912.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 15
Loved those chips. They had a particular flavour, something to do with the fat they used I suppose. Still got a memory of the newspapers at the back with which they wrapped the chips.

Last edited:
Loved those chips. They had a particular flavour, something to do with the fat they used I suppose. Still got a memory of the newspapers at the back with which they wrapped the chips.
Probably dripping. Regretably only available nowadays around Brum at the Black country museum

18 Potters' Lane shown here (obscured by post unfortunately).
brummie-lad, I posted this photo a few months ago on the Park Lane-Aston thread #262. It was made merging two familiar photos. Unfortunately, although using real photos, I could only make a representation of the chip shop.
Potters Lane Panorama copy.jpg

brummie-lad, I posted this photo a few months ago on the Park Lane-Aston thread #262. It was made merging two familiar photos. Unfortunately, although using real photos, I could only make a representation of the chip shop.
View attachment 158254
I think that's brilliant, gives a feel for how that corner really was. Fish and chips are a bit more pricey now aren't they, about £14 for 2 people.

Back