• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Peddle Car - First Pedal Car

Resurecting my earlier post, plus I've found 2 more. They were all taken in our back garden in Bromford Lane. Can't remember the make, a Humber maybe?

Attachments

• David & Car Bromford.jpg
    David & Car Bromford.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 30
  • David & Car Bromford_2.jpg
    David & Car Bromford_2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 35
  • David & Car Bromford_3.jpg
    David & Car Bromford_3.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 33
Wow ! I thought my car was good but that car looks brilliant...

I occasionally talk with my sister about the car and we wonder where it came from, because we were not well off. As children we just played with the car and now it is too late to find out about it. It was well built and got passed on with a repaint to new owners as can be seen in an earlier post here

Last edited:
David and Phil. These are right fancy cars! Must have cost quite a bit when new. I don't remember anyone in our street having anything like this. Hope they've been maintained and loved by some lucky owners. Viv.

Had a pedal car for Christmas around 1955. Dad obtained it second hand, it was apparently quite unique as it was modelled on a Austin A40 I think, and could only be obtained when new from Austin dealerships.
He picked it up on Christmas Eve, but it needed painting which he couldn't do until I went to bed.
Apparantly he was painting it into the early hours of Christmas day to get it finished. Must have been quick drying paint
It was a lovely bright red, and even had headlights that worked WOW.
I wonder what happened to it.
There really rare now and worth a lot of money, Mum probably gave it away when I grew out of it.

Had a pedal car for Christmas around 1955. Dad obtained it second hand, it was apparently quite unique as it was modelled on a Austin A40 I think, and could only be obtained when new from Austin dealerships.
He picked it up on Christmas Eve, but it needed painting which he couldn't do until I went to bed.
Apparantly he was painting it into the early hours of Christmas day to get it finished. Must have been quick drying paint
It was a lovely bright red, and even had headlights that worked WOW.
I wonder what happened to it.
There really rare now and worth a lot of money, Mum probably gave it away when I grew out of it.
Austin J40 modeled after the Austin A40 Devon/Dorset they were made in wales part of a government program foe disabled miners (the J stood for junior) its worth a google, there Is a club with meets and parts for sale.

Two and a half generations-worth of pedal car for the price of one......

My elder sister, Rhyl, 1931, very probably in a rental car. (Much older brother in background with a speedier mode of transport).

GMSAbikePedalcarHolca1932im.jpg

And again, same moment. It's a Triang car, possibly based - very loosely indeed! - on a real car of the time.

SApedalCarRhyl1931img077.jpg

(That's a bit before she progressed to a Triumph Stag).

Fast forward 10 years. My very own one. It looks almost certainly the same model as the one above. I can never remember either its arrival (which must have been a significant moment), nor when it was in its original state complete with mud wings (apparently taken off because they were always getting battered). Now, posting this sequence of images made me wonder for a moment whether in fact my own car was a hand-me-down and the Rhyl one wasn't in fact hired. The cars are identical, I think – apart from the tyre colour. So this one had in all probability been my own from new.

HMMCM1940.jpg

And then a further 25 years. My elder son in his very own, provided by Father Christmas in 1965. Almost certainly, again a Triang.

image-248.jpg

They were wonderful things for little boys (and even a few girls).

Chris

I would think at that time, every small boy's dream would have been to have the jeep version, Mike. More realistic than some of the others, for starters.

Chris

mike you have not changed a bit ..i would know that smile anywhere...lovely photo

lyn

I would think at that time, every small boy's dream would have been to have the jeep version, Mike. More realistic than some of the others, for starters.

Chris
My Dad God Bless him Made ME a JEEP for Christmas one year I still have it ( I have always wanted to be a Jeep Haha!!)

Attachments

• 10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg
    10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 9
Back