• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

First Film Your Parent Took You To See

My Grandparents took me to see "Snow White" at the Capitol Ward End. The wicked Witch terrified me and I had to be taken out as I was crying so much.

It was BAMBI !!!

Can't remember how old I was or what Picture House it was but probably the ODEON Sutton Coldfield or the Gaumont. I would have been 4 or 5 I think, (50 In December :rolleyes:)

John

Mine was Bambi,at the cinema on the Coventry Rd just down from the Swan going towards the airport....please can someone tell me what the cinema was called?
I have never been able to watch it again,and wouldnt let my children see it....all I can remember is crying ang crying....or as someone said on another reply " blarted "....thats a word I havent heard for a while. Is that a Brummieism?

How about the Tovoli suze

Last edited:
Mine was The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad in 1974 at the Capital in Alum Rock. I was 7 at the time, and this was the only film I ever saw on a Birmingham cinema. We moved down to Newquay a few months later.

First, and I think only film I saw at the pictures with my dad was The First Men in the Moon with Lionel Jeffries. It was in Brum centre, so possibly the Gaumont.

Now, I was only about 7 at the time, and I know it was a sci-fi/comedy but the giant caterpillar and the scuttling moonmen frightened the life out of me!

A little off subject, but who remembers the Beaufort, Ward End? That was the place to watch a horror movie.

I know it's a bit out of the area, but does anyone know the name of the cinema at Hill Top, West Bromwich?

Alf - What a great set of photos. I didn't know West Brom well but enjoyed looking through them. I think I saw Mrs Thatcher in one of them or her double....:)

The first film I remember going to see was " The Amazing Mr Blunden" at a cinema on The Coventry Rd, Sheldon, between The Wheat Sheaf and the wagon & Horses. I think its a 'Floors to Go' or Somerfield now.

John could it have been the Tower or Kings Cinema?

In the meantime a great set of Photos of West-bromwich & memories:)

https://www.west-bromwich-photos.co.uk/

I thoroughly enjoyed the photo's thank you! It was lovely to see Trows again, I loved their ice-cream! Many a time I drank from the water-fountain in Hill Top Park, from little metal cups attached to security chains .... 'health and safety' would have a fit these days!

I'm not sure re' the cinema names; I thought the 'Kings' cinema was somewhere in West Bromwich proper? Was not the 'Tower' the ABC cinema? Although Hill Top was within the borough of West Bromwich, it was almost an entirely separate entity...a sort of mid-way town between West Brom' and Wednesbury. I believe it was once famed for its fruit trees and, was known as Finchpath.

The photo' of Hill Top school shows the central finial, between the two bell towers ( a further two towers were to be found at the rear of the school) - I believe the 'finial' was destroyed when a stick of three
(although there were only two explosins!) German bombs landed on the school, taking-out the central section. My father was walking towards the Hen and Chckens, when the bombs fell. He was clobbered by a flying brick just beneath the back of his neck! It was some weeks before he was properly recovered.

Does anyone know of the caves beneath Hill Top School? Part natural, part man-made; they were to the rear of the science lab and the wood-work shop on the lower playground. Whilst in the 'dingle' the small wooded area beyond the lower-playground, was an aeroplane! How they managed to get it into such a small space is beyond me! I believe it was painted yellow and black, and belonged to the Air Training Corps. Also in the Dingle, were the entrances to the under-playground air-raid shelters. I wonder if the new houses are built directly over them???

John, if you look in the photos you will see there are two photos of the Tower Cinema one when it was the Tower & one as the ABC:)

I don't know a lot about West Brom I just visited it once a week as part of my job.:)

But there are members of the Forum who do or have.

My mum took me to see Lady and the Tramp, not sure of the name of the pictures, but from memory I am sure it was in Hamilton.

The first film I ever saw was Snow White at the Gaumont, I was about 4 years old, but it wasn't my parents who took me, it was my friend's mother Mrs. Clarke. Mavis my friend had cut her head badly on the table
air raid shelter in their living room and for months afterwards had to go to the General Hospital for treatment, so our visit to the Gaumont was a special treat.

I often went to the pictures with my mother, but I really can't remember dad ever going, he had poor eyesight so perhaps that was the reason.

Back