• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Film Your Parent Took You To See

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
It was Snow White at the Newtown Palace Newtown Row Aston:)

Dad took me to see The Red Beret also at the Newtown Palace and the only time:rolleyes:

'Bambi' at the Beacon Cinema Scott Arms. I also saw 'Dumbo' and 'Snow White' at that cinema.:)

The first one that I can remember was 'The Al Jolson story' at the 'Flea Pit' (New Olympia) on Ladypool Road.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjzKYXzsjA"]YouTube - Mammy scene in THE JOLSON STORY[/ame]​

Photos that I've nicked from 'Postie' of 'The New Olympia' aka 'Flea Pit' on Ladypool Road.:)

Just thinking back about being taken to see films, I remember being taken by my dad to see 'The Outlaw'. The posters for it had some quite interesting views of Jane Russell. I can't remember whether it was me or my dad who wanted to see the film.;)

The Dam busters with my dad the one with Kennith Moore in, must have been at the Orient cant remember any other by me

Pat I went with my brother to see that too but I think it was the savage inocents but am not sure. My nan was the first to take me and it was the Odeon Perry Barr to see the Robe and we blarted all the way through. I think I put this on before somewhere?. Do you remember the little black dog that got run over in the Dam busters only I blarted over that too:cry::cry::cry:. Jean.

Just thinking back about being taken to see films, I remember being taken by my dad to see 'The Outlaw'. The posters for it had some quite interesting views of Jane Russell. I can't remember whether it was me or my dad who wanted to see the film.;)

Just for you OM

My Mom took us to see Damitrius and the gladiators, just because she fancied watching it, but my Dad did't want to go with her.

My family never went to the pictures. The first film I ever saw in a cinema was the Ealing comedy 'The Titfield Thunderbolt'. I was with a school visit because most of the film was made in and around the village where I used to live at the time. The nearest Odeon (in Bath) laid on a coach, free admission and ice creams for us.

I cannot remember the first time I went to the cinema but I do remember the second time we took our daughter Patsy. She sat down and said, "I will stay here until the ice cream lady comes round"

Old Boy

We were so poor we never went to the pictures. We had to make do with Dad making shadows on the wall...That's if we could afford the candle to cast a shadow...I'm only joking. I can't remember the first film, although it was probably at either the Kingston, The Grange or the Coronet. I think it was 1/9d for mater and pater. Remember ki-ora?

I cannot remember the first time I went to the cinema but I do remember the second time we took our daughter Patsy. She sat down and said, "I will stay here until the ice cream lady comes round"

Old Boy

Were they selling the anything like this at the time OB:D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_u7VGiMO0U"]YouTube - Monty Python - Albatross[/ame]

hi all
Mom took me and Marilyn to the News Theatre to see Snow white, and then to see Bambi at the same cinema. The first film with dad was to see Shane at the Royalty, Harborne, he took me often in the 50's Attack, Ice Cold In Alex,Cockelboat hero's, and many others.
regards
paul

Mom Took me to the Elite on Soho Road to see how the west was won ..it was brill in it's day:)

My Mom took me to see South Pacific. Never forgot that night. I just wish she where still here to do it again. Barry.

Bazz me to, my Mom took me to the Odeon in Sutton to see South Pacific. I thought it was so exotic.:)

I'm in shock - just realised - I don't think I ever went to the pictures with my mum or dad!!!!! But the first film I remember seeing was The sound of music. I went with my aunt. Earlier in the day I had fallen over and hurt my hand but I was determined to see the film. I remember my hand hurting all through the film but I still enjoyed it. Dad took me to hospital afterwards and I had broken a bone. Don't know which cinema I went to but my aunt lived in Ladywood.
Polly :)

Back