• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

First Aircraft Built In Birmingham

O

O.C.

Has anyone got any info at all about Alfred P. Maxfield a motor manufacture of Victoria Road, Aston the first man in the city to build an aircraft and fly it from Birmingham at Castle Bromwich 5th Sept to 2nd Oct 1909
PS I have his photo and picture of the plane which was in the Masonic Hall Birmingham

Looks like there's another pilot who flew the first aeroplane at Castle Bromwich according to this from Wikipedia.

"A large piece of Warwickshire grassland (Castle Bromwich Playing Fields) became the Castle Bromwich private aerodrome, when Alfred P Maxwell flew the first aeroplane in the Birmingham area in September 1909"

:angel: Well spotted Jennyann ... and we genealogist researchers all know too well about transcribing errors don't we O0
Alfred P Maxwell /Alfred P. Maxfield

Pom :angel:

When I searched for him on the net, I came up with nothing and then found out I had put Maxwell in instead of Maxfield, Strange that
Thanks Di for that info, born on a ship in the Indian Ocean so I guess his Father was in the Army

That is exactly what I thought Crom - Army.

Must look in the BMD, is he Maxwell or Maxfield.?

Ok Alfred Pericles Maxfield born 21.11.1879. Father Arthur Maxfield Mother Eleanor Goldsmit.

The ship was PERICLES  reg. number 70463

I found a Alfred Henry Maxfield of 180 Victoria Rd, Aston , in the 1908 Kelly's Directory. O0
Hi there, I've just found your message regarding Alf Maxfield. It has been quoted that he flew from Castle Bromwich (site of aerodrome) in 1909 but I tend to dispute that. The photo I've seen suggests the Golf Links at Castle Bromwich which were just south of the Bromford Race Coarse.

Propkid

I was in the market at Newton le Willows on Saturday and picked up three old photo albums. This one had this newspaper clipping stuck on the inside of the front of the album followed by some old photos from the late 20's and 30's. I have no idea what newspaper or how old this is but the wording is as follows:
'Strange things flew 25 years ago'...The first airplane built to fly in Birmingham, photographed in a hotel where it was first exhibited 25 years ago. The designer and builder, Mr. A. Maxfield, is standing beside it (with light hat). Scoops with the camera - no.25.

image.jpg

I love doing my own family history and this is intriguing me! The albums have nothing to do with me and I guess were from a house clearance. There are two photos of any significance , one signed E. Aldridge.

does anyone know anything about this. What the plane was? My other half loves planes! I've tried searching the Internet to no avail.

I have found this on wikipedia about Castle Bromwich Aerodrome:
A large piece of Warwickshire grassland (Castle Bromwich playing fields) became the privately owned Castle Bromwich aerodrome, when Alfred P Maxfield flew the first aeroplane in the Birmingham area in September 1909.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bromwich_Aerodrome

Isn't that interesting! I feel this photo album must have something to do with his family. I shall try doing some genealogy! If there is anyone on this forum who knows anymore, or any of the family I would be more than happy to send this on to them.

I was in the market at Newton le Willows on Saturday and picked up three old photo albums. This one had this newspaper clipping stuck on the inside of the front of the album followed by some old photos from the late 20's and 30's. I have no idea what newspaper or how old this is but the wording is as follows:
'Strange things flew 25 years ago'...The first airplane built to fly in Birmingham, photographed in a hotel where it was first exhibited 25 years ago. The designer and builder, Mr. A. Maxfield, is standing beside it (with light hat). Scoops with the camera - no.25.

View attachment 91635

I love doing my own family history and this is intriguing me! The albums have nothing to do with me and I guess were from a house clearance. There are two photos of any significance , one signed E. Aldridge.

does anyone know anything about this. What the plane was? My other half loves planes! I've tried searching the Internet to no avail.
Oh Daisy I hope you reply!
I don't know if you still have these albums, I'm really hoping you do! (I understand if not as it was a while ago).
Alfred Maxfield was my 2nd Great Uncle, and E Aldridge was my great Grandfather! I was doing a bit of a search on google as I am currently researching my family history and this stream came up. Email me back if you can I would love to hear all about these pictures etc and it would really help me I'm sure with my further research, I'm sooo very excited. Kind regards Sally

Isn't that interesting! I feel this photo album must have something to do with his family. I shall try doing some genealogy! If there is anyone on this forum who knows anymore, or any of the family I would be more than happy to send this on to them.

Back