• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

First aid posts in WW2

Thank you for the images, Viv.

It reminds me that my late sister-in-law once told me that she was a member of the ICI Kynoch Works first-aid team at Witton throughout the war which involved frequent overnight stays on-site.

I assume that most big factories had their own similar units, presumably much larger and providing considerably greater cover than any peace-time equivalent. The Austin works at Longbridge recognised this and similar voluntary effort during the war years by the award of a certificate when it was all over. This one was issued to a member of the factory Home Guard but the insignia around the border tells us about all the other voluntary work done by employees during those years and no doubt similarly recognised. The first-aid effort would have been under "Medical Unit" at ten o'clock (part of the Home Guard activity) and "Casualty Service" (part of the broader Civil Defence activities) at 4 o'clock.

Chris

LongbridgeCert.jpg

WW2 British Factory Department Home Office Complete First Aid Kit​

1664867908479.png
Hall Green First Aid Post at the school on Stratford Road1940

This equipment would have been provided for all first aid posts, including Kings Heath.
January 1940 equipment delivered:
64 respirators
6 pairs each men and women’s gum boots
7 steel helmets
12 pairs each protective trousers, coats and gloves
3 stretchers
6 slings
6 blankets and 6 pillows
4 galvanised buckets
4 mops
3 soft brooms
2 hard brooms
3 scrubbing brushes
6 floor cloths
2 bleach trays
14 galvanised pails
6 decontamination clothing bins
12 pairs each men and women’s pyjamas (for decontamination cases)
12 pairs different sized plimsolls
100 yellow decontamination labels
1,000 ordinary labels
200 towels
6 enamel eye douches
2 drums bleach powder
12 tins bleach ointment
51 storm lanterns
4 green waterproof sheets
1 stirrup pump
20 Elsan pans for use in the school shelters
Requested equipment:
Tables, chairs, beds, bedding, crockery and cutlery
6 dozen enamel drinking mugs
4 primus stoves
vomit bowls
Suture needles, safety pins and mouth gags
The Kings Heath First Aid Post was based at the swimming baths in Institute Road and the
equipment provided was essential during the raids of 1940/41. The laconic style of the log book
hides the heroic work put in by all the Civil Defence workers. Most were volunteers and would
have had daytime jobs. The book recorded the times of all raids including those in daylight and
warnings were received before the sirens sounded. A yellow warning came first, followed by a

Back