• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bedding warehouse fire Stratford Road

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
READING ABOUT THE HALFORD BIG FIRE IN THE EARLY DAYS
AND IT CAME TO MIND OF WHAT I THINK WAS THE SECOND BIG FIRE IN BRUM
IT WAS A BIG BEDDING STORE ON THE STRATFORD ROAD , OPPERSITE THE OLD MERMAID PUB ,
DIRECTLY FACING IT ON THE STRATFORD RD ,INCLUDING THE AJOINING SHOP ,
IT WAS IN THE EARLY SIXTIES  I BELIEVE  AND IT WAS A LARGE WARE HOUSE , THE SHOP WAS CALLED BEDS ,---SOMETHING ,
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY RECALLS IT  OR THE NAME OF THE SHOP ,
ALSO THERE WAS ANOTHER BEDDING MANUFACTURING  FACTORY IN CLISSOLD PASSAGE HOCKLEY THAT WAS BURNT TO THE GROUND
IN THE 7O,S  YOU COULD SEE THAT FIRE FOR MILES ,

BEST WISHES  ASTONIAN ,;;;

i know there was a big fire at the factory at camp hill that was called Avery Guidex but that was in the late 80s

i remember reading about that in the mail .,areapal
i was living in kings heath at that time and iI can recall that company
Iwas working for dyno rod at the time we was along the road at the time ,when it happened.
the big fire iI was trying to recall was further along the stratford rd ,
just past walford rd , and almost oppersite warick rd , and facing the old mermaid pub ,
i believe the shop now sells saree.s , it was either called vip bedding , or somthink -beds , may be bed world ,
or somthink with that name ,
and I think it was most definiately late 60,s to 70,s
and it was two ajoing shops involved ,
Iwill try and get down into brum this week ,as i live in worc;
and check the old archives of the mail
and let you know ,
best wishes , astonian ,;;;;

WILLIAMS FURNITURE IN THE OLD BULL RING

CAN ANYONE HELP ME I AM TRYING TO TRACE THE COMPANY WILLIAMS FURNITURE WHO I WORKED FOR BACK INTHE 70'S THERE USED TO BE TWO BRANCHES IN THE OLD BULL RING SHOPPING CENTRE ONE NEXT PUB BY THE CHINESE AND ONE ACROSS THE BRIDGE BY NEW STREET STATION. I KNOW IT CHANGED TO WADES FURNITURE AND THEN MAYBE WARING & GILLOW.WHAT I AM WONDERING IS IF THERE IS STILL A WADES IN THE NEW SHOPPING CENTRE AND IF SO DOES SOMEONE HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR THEM THANKS FOR ANY HELP
JOHN :smiley6600: :smiley6600: :smiley6600:

John none of the above are listed in the Brum Phone book, have you searched the net to see if they still exist
2004 Wades Furniture were in the Bullring not their now

warehouse fire

I think this fire was Levins store it was late 1973 early 74 as I was a Fireman based at Highgate and this was on our station ground, and I attended it, it was on the smane night as the large fire in the centre of Brum at Maples? tyhe following morning there was also a fire at a woodyard further up the Stratford Rd, all this took place during the trobels in the city from 1972/74???

I hope this will help.

This fire or one of them, is the one I have been trying to locate for a while.

My Father was on the front page of the Evening News at the time and also local ITV news, as it was then.

As we lived dead opposite the Mermaid Pub on Stratford Road he took the starting handle from his old car and beat down a door and saved two ladies from certain death, it was said.8)
I did think however it (or this fire) was as early as 1959 my last year in school. I remember coming home from school and being told all about it.
My brother kept the front page from the paper but after a search just last week seems to think he has lost it.
I went to Central Library with my wife last September or so and went through years and years of film but could not locate it. we tried 1958-1964 just in case.
Was in touch with the paper just last week to see if I could locate it with them...you guessed it...their negatives only go back to 1964.....I'm stumped.:|

Derek

fire stratford rd

Hi Sparkhill lad
Can I Suggest YOU Check tHE year 1956-7, I Am Pretty Sure It Is Around
That Era And I Do Recall The Fire And It Was Mostly SplashedAcrossed The Front Pages Of The Mail, Head Lines
I Am Very Intrigue Myself To FindAnd See The Date Period Of That Issue
I Hope YouCan Keep Us All Informed Of Your Research
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Back