• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

fire brigade

M

maurice coley

Hi has anyone got any info on M&B fire brigade i left to come to wales my father was also a driver ,the officer fred james, vick stanworth, charlie porter maurice coley,ivan styles,kieth porter,john smith,vernon fisher,alf woodward,and a lot of part timers,looked for photos,my own was lost on move (disaster) i think fire station still there even club is still going so i hope somone can help me, many thanks.

I was a regular visitor to M & B and had to get the key I needed to reach the equipment I looked after from the Fire Station. It was clinically clean with an impressive 'fleet' of vintage fire engines.
There is another thread on here where there are more posts.
Ted

Hi Maurice,

My name is Mike Whitehouse & I work at the Cape from 1966 to 1974 & I completed an engineering apprenticeship at M&B then moving on joining the West Midlands Fire Service stationed at Rolfe St Smethwick.
I grew up in Portland Road & my father David worked for 40 years or so in the Cellar Advisory, sister Margaret worked in the main office.
All of the names you mentioned I knew well & that include your dad, Maurice. My sister speaks to Vernon Fisher on occasions & he still has a lot to do with the Remembrance Day service that is held each year at the cenotaph at M&B.
Keith Porter if I remember joined the Ambulance Service & I believe now lives in the Telford area. I bumped into Trevor Hinton (Electrican at M&B) the other week & he said that Bobby Pope & Malcolm Parsons have a drink each Tuesday evening at Weatherspoon's in Blackheath.
Thinking about it, did you live in one of the brewery houses on Cape Hill?
I often think back of all the happy times I had as a child at the Christmas parties (M&B canteen), fun fairs days, & dances at the Portland Road club.

Kind regards,
Mike

Hi Mike, would you remember a fire at Ionic plating in Grove Street circa 1950s? I'm told M&B brigade attended but can find no record of date, brigades or newspaper coverage.
enjoyed the read,
Chris Burford

Back