• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fire Brigade Information

Dramatic picture of a Fireman overcome by heat and smoke being rescued by his colleagues from the head of a Turn Table Ladder. The Fireman in question made a full recovery sadly another Fireman did not survive. This shows how dangerous the job is at times.Screenshot_20191116-232207_Facebook.jpg

Fire Newtown Shopping Centre note the Sub.O attaching himself to a smoke line before entering the smoke logged building. This enables the BA team to find their way out and a stand by team to locate them should anything go wrong.Screenshot_20191116-182712_Photos.jpg

The Fire Service strike started on the 14th November 1977 and ran for 9 weeks with the armed forces taking on Fire Fighting Duties. The picture shows the Irish Guards going on duty with the Green Goddess Fire Appliances.
Screenshot_20191116-181853_Photos.jpg

Green Goddesses were only stationed at whole time manned stations in Devon. As Devon has mostly retained (part-time) stations they had little to do and even where dispatched. Messages to say all was under control went back very quickly before the squaddies could arrive. ;)
As with most industrial disputes there was much recrimination and it took a while to heal.

Central Fire Station 1930s. Escape Carrier riders open to the elements. Note the pole drops from the married quarters taken down following a fatal accident involving a child.

Attachments

• 20200312_110634.jpg
    20200312_110634.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 29
Birmingham Fire Brigade Upper Priory Fire Station City Centre.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310-234618_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200310-234618_Pinterest.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Great photos Aggie. Many older pump ladders and escapes survived to well after WW2 giving those strapped to the rails a white knuckle ride, especially in rural areas. :eek:

View attachment 77862View attachment 77992
I have no information other than 'Birmingham, early 1900s'.
Hello, I've been researching my family history for some time and have recently contacted the resource fire brigade group which has been very helpful. Does the picture date before 1904? My ancestor served in Birmingham fire brigade between 1894 to 1904 and if I could obtain any details that would great. His name was William Alfred Walter Palmer 1867 - 1904.

Back