• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fire Brigade Information

pipone

proper brummie kid
For some time I have been gathering both information and items associated with the Birmingham Fire Brigade. So to add to this, I am asking if anyone has photos, stories or in fact anything that I could use to ensure that this part of Birmingham history isn't lost for ever. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Who was it that said this site is addictive, I've become a daily junkie.

Pipone

Hi Pipone just reading your fire information post with interest.
Do you have any info:D any earlier than 1900. My husbands great grandad is on the grandads birth certificate as been a brigade fireman in 1897. Unfortunately we can't find any info apart from this.

Station Officer William Mosedale's life story, including his actions in the Birmingham Blitz has been told in full for the first time in Come if ye Dare, the story of the 11 Civil Defence George Cross receipients.

It is available direct from the author for £12.50. Please PM me with an email address and a flyer will folllow.

Terry

Terri, Posti has started a thread on this very person. I am about to read all about him... TTFN. Jean.

Terry sorry it was you who started the thread. Forgive me I have read through so many threads tonight I should have double checked. Jean.

For some time I have been gathering both information and items associated with the Birmingham Fire Brigade. So to add to this, I am asking if anyone has photos, stories or in fact anything that I could use to ensure that this part of Birmingham history isn't lost for ever. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Who was it that said this site is addictive, I've become a daily junkie.

Pipone

Try to get a copy or copys of Squirt it was in production during the war years there are are a few in stories n there

The cover of my new book with Station Officer Mosedale featured prominently

Annie
Did your Grandfather William Pegg live somewhere in the country not far from Bham? The reason I asked was my Grandfather was at Witton Aston from the late 1890's until 1911 when he took over the Fire Chiet's position at Bartley green. I remember going to one of his friends house before the WW2 and it was Mr Pegg.
Dave Edwards

Hi
my Grandad Wiliam Pegg lived at Henry Street in Birmingham then at the fire station headquarters. His father William Pegg came from Smethwick and was also a fireman.but had retired by the outbreak of the war and moved to Staffordshire. I know there are other Peggs in the area but only my family are connected with the fire service
Annie

Hi there,
Sorry this response is so late, I am interested in anything and everything, I want to build up a picture of not just the brigade but also those that served in it along with stories photos etc. Any help would be appreciated

Richard

Hi there,
My interest is the Birmingham Brigade which includes the Aston Brigade any info would be much appreciated

out of interest do you have a copy of The Fire protection of Birmingham 1920 published Buckler & Web Ltd my copy has the card of A R Tozer Chief officer Brum and for some reason I have the fortieth annual report of the watch committee upon the operation of the Corporation Fire brigade 1918

Annie
You say that a relative retired before the war. "Which war was it 1or2"? Did you know where he retired to? I ask as we went before the second w.w by car to a cottage in the country, not far away, and it had an orchard. You relative was born the same year as my Grandfather and I know he knew a Mr Pegg.
Dave Edwards

Hi Richard
When my mother and her parents lived at the Central Fire Station during the war my grandmother's friend Trudie Alden started up a concert group to entertain the firemen and families. My grandma sang in the group and they played in the ballroom. My mother remembers having lots of parties, it was a great community. She said she rode her bike around the balcony around the flats. During the worst weeks of the Blitz the women and children went into the underground chambers at dusk to sleep,they set up beds. My mother said she always felt safe down there.The station was hit by incendiary bombs one night and was hit on all four corners, one flat being close to my mothers.
The firemen were very brave, my mother said the bombing took its toll on her father. One night when he was out on patrol a bomb dropped a little too close for comfort and the fire cart span around.
Hope this is of some use
Annie

Last edited:
Pipone

You may want to go onto West Midlands Fire Service on Facebook. There is a vast amount of knowledge regarding Birmingham FB and of course West Midlands Fire Service.

Tony

Richard, you obviously have not been on the Forum for some time as I have not seen any of your comments. Have you got all the info you required as you have not bothered with all I have and I was waiting for the photo you promised of John Bingham of Aston FB
Dave Edwards

Back