• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fine Fare Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre, July 1977

gary_m_walton

master brummie
During the summer of 1977, I worked at Fine Fare in Chelmsley Wood shopping centre. I pushed trolleys up a ramp from the various levels to the shop levels. Great fun! I think I worked there prior to going to Warwick University and I recall it being a hot summer and very bright. I would walk from Tile Cross, across the park at the back of Shrewley Crescent and over to the town centre. I worked most weekends and some week days for a little cash. On a Friday after work, many of the staff would go to a pub situated within the centre.

I took only a few photos whilst there but would like to share them with the world. Who knows, perhaps someone may have known them. The photos below were taken around 22nd July 1977. As usual, I regret not taking a whole load more.

Happy days!

A978. I think the girl on the right was Deborah.

A979 - The Produce department!
A980 - His name is Jack (NOT Terry, as first thought). He pushed trolleys with me and always looked smart!

A981 - A rather stern looking cleaner.

Last edited:
Back