• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding my Grandfather

NOTSHARP

master brummie
This is the story of my attempt to find out anything, about my paternal grandfather.

Firstly, other than a name, I, and my two older brothers, knew nothing about him. During my childhood, I do not recal him ever being mentioned, let alone talked about.
I remember my own father having a wee cardboard box, containing his own medals from his army service, and before he died, he passed them on to his grandson, my nephew.

When talking to my brother one day, he mentioned that in the box there were also medals belonging to our paternal grandfather. He offered to send them to me, to have a look at, and I was delighted to accept the offer. Imagine my further delight when I did see them, and realised that his army service number was engraved on the rim of the medals. Now, I had something to go on.
Lots of on-line searching revealed such a lot of information, that I spent months delving into it.

The first shock was that my Grandfather had been killed in WW1.

From the date of the above, it can be seen that, although he died on 01/12/1917, he must, along with others, have been buried on the battlefield, and exhumed two and a half years later, for re-burial, at Gouzeaucort New British Cemetary.

I was able to get a copy of his battalion War Diary from the National Archive, and found the account of what they were doing when he was killed.
I also found copies of the trench maps on line, and from the battlefield grave location, was able to find the spot where he had been buried.

It seems that they were pushing the Germans out of Gouzeaucourt. Just outside the village was a Mill ( now a dwelling ), which was an enemy machine gun post. He was, likely, killed about 200 yards from it.

I found, again available on-line, his name in the Memorial Book in the Hall of Remembrance in Birmingham.

I was also very fortunate in being able to get a copy of his Army record. Many records were lost during the blitz in the Second World War, but the Guards Regiments kept theirs in a different location.
They contained his personal description ( I have no photograph of him ), and his signature, together with family details that we had no idea of. There were also copies of letters written by my Grandmother, asking for information, because she had not heard from him.

As an aside, many years ago, I purchased a couple of brass shell casings from an antique shop. They were from WW1, usually made by soldiers, and known as Trench Art. After my WW1 interest being aroused, I looked at them more closely. Another coincidence? I wonder, at times.

They are both crudely decorated with engraving. One was to commemorate the battle of Cambrai, which is where my Grandfather died.

Not only that, but the primer headstamp shows a date of 17/12, the year and month of my Grandfathers death.

I found all of this information six years ago. As far as I know, no family member had visited his grave, so my wife and I planned a trip to do just that. Flights, car hire, hotel etc., all booked, and a week later my wife was told that she had breast cancer, and needed immediate treatment. Needless to say, our trip was cancelled.
Six years on, and we have a another trip planned, and will be visiting Gouzeaucourt in May.

Steve.

Steve.

Great that you have been able to find all that detailed information!
I hope you have a good trip, should be interesting.

This is the story of my attempt to find out anything, about my paternal grandfather.

Firstly, other than a name, I, and my two older brothers, knew nothing about him. During my childhood, I do not recal him ever being mentioned, let alone talked about.
I remember my own father having a wee cardboard box, containing his own medals from his army service, and before he died, he passed them on to his grandson, my nephew.

When talking to my brother one day, he mentioned that in the box there were also medals belonging to our paternal grandfather. He offered to send them to me, to have a look at, and I was delighted to accept the offer. Imagine my further delight when I did see them, and realised that his army service number was engraved on the rim of the medals. Now, I had something to go on.
Lots of on-line searching revealed such a lot of information, that I spent months delving into it.

From the date of the above, it can be seen that, although he died on 01/12/1917, he must, along with others, have been buried on the battlefield, and exhumed two and a half years later, for re-burial, at Gouzeaucort New British Cemetary.

I was able to get a copy of his battalion War Diary from the National Archive, and found the account of what they were doing when he was killed.
I also found copies of the trench maps on line, and from the battlefield grave location, was able to find the spot where he had been buried.

It seems that they were pushing the Germans out of Gouzeaucourt. Just outside the village was a Mill ( now a dwelling ), which was an enemy machine gun post. He was, likely, killed about 200 yards from it.

I found, again available on-line, his name in the Memorial Book in the Hall of Remembrance in Birmingham.

I was also very fortunate in being able to get a copy of his Army record. Many records were lost during the blitz in the Second World War, but the Guards Regiments kept theirs in a different location.
They contained his personal description ( I have no photograph of him ), and his signature, together with family details that we had no idea of. There were also copies of letters written by my Grandmother, asking for information, because she had not heard from him.

As an aside, many years ago, I purchased a couple of brass shell casings from an antique shop. They were from WW1, usually made by soldiers, and known as Trench Art. After my WW1 interest being aroused, I looked at them more closely. Another coincidence? I wonder, at times.

They are both crudely decorated with engraving. One was to commemorate the battle of Cambrai, which is where my Grandfather died.

Not only that, but the primer headstamp shows a date of 17/12, the year and month of my Grandfathers death.

I found all of this information six years ago. As far as I know, no family member had visited his grave, so my wife and I planned a trip to do just that. Flights, car hire, hotel etc., all booked, and a week later my wife was told that she had breast cancer, and needed immediate treatment. Needless to say, our trip was cancelled.
Six years on, and we have a another trip planned, and will be visiting Gouzeaucourt in May.

Steve.

Steve.
What a wonderful story, enjoy your trip in May hopefully you will extend your Grandfathers legacy.

wow steve your research is to be admired...so pleased that you and the wife can now take that trip in may...please let us know how it goes

lyn

A good few years ago, before we moved over here, we came on a 4x4 / war graves visit to the area around Cambrai. Some of the grave sites are difficult to access now except by 4x4. The driving was 'exciting' but it is difficult to express the feelings when visiting the actual grave sites. Conditions during the conflict in the area were atrocious, and the panic and despair, and sudden loss of the people who were buried there still lingers over the sites. Everybody on the trip suddenly fell silent, as though just for a moment, someone was telling you directly into your head how it was then.
We have also visited the larger memorial grave sites, and walking amongst the stones the young ages of those commemorated is sobering. What were you doing at age 19 in comparison.
We are glad that you, and especially your wife, were able to make the trip.

Andrew.

Steve.

Steve.
My grandfather George Henry Ford died at Cambrai also. He was a member of the Machine Gun Corps. His name is engraved on the walls at Louverval Cemetary which I have visited . The photo of the Book of Remembrance reminded me to look for his name. It does not appear on the website. Does anyone know if I am able to have his name added?

Well done Steve, what an enlightening campaign, your persist research seems to have paid off, glad to hear that you and your wife are able to to visit your grandfathers grave to pay your respects.

Hi Notsharp. I to had a similar situation with my Grandfather as no one ever spoke of his WW1 death including my father who was his youngest son born August 1914 and Grandfather died in August 1915. I also did not have a photo of him and neither did any of our very large extended family but by researching the old newspapers at Birmingham Library around that date I not only found his photo in his uniform and Obituary but also photos of his five brothers who were also serving so never give up searching. Acklam19.

Back