• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding Heath Family in Hockley

yes jan you may note piddock st on the map thats where my gt aunt lived at 2/22 its all grass and trees now...just remembered that farm st also had the same numbering...going up in ones so that low numbered houses would have high numbered ones opposite...my fault as i should have noticed that

lyn

He had a wonderful location for the shop. It looks like it would have a great deal of foot traffic since it's on a corner where 4 main streets come together. In regard to 'cash', it had a feeling it meant that the owner didn't extend credit to anyone. It was simply "cash and carry". With that amount of money left to him, he certainly didn't have to work; however, it was good that he was able to turn the shop over to his kids. So many family businesses close because they kids don't care about the business, only the money it generates.

He had a wonderful location for the shop. It looks like it would have a great deal of foot traffic since it's on a corner where 4 main streets come together. In regard to 'cash', it had a feeling it meant that the owner didn't extend credit to anyone. It was simply "cash and carry". With that amount of money left to him, he certainly didn't have to work; however, it was good that he was able to turn the shop over to his kids. So many family businesses close because they kids don't care about the business, only the money it generates.

yes i agree...its just a pity that the shop is no longer standing..

Janice
382 lodge road and 76 Park road are adjacent buildings. As I said before the 1891 census lists him at 76 park road, whereas the 1901 and 1911 censuses list him at lodge road. the 1891 & 1900 ones have just him there, whereas the 1911 have him, wife Esther Annie (20 years younger) with children Harvey Roland (5) and Jessie Winifred (3)
View attachment 140781
The shaded pink premises is Yarnolds.23B_junction_lodge_rd_park_rd.jpg

Piddock Street was the other side of the road and was off Lodge Road and not Park Road
Yes - in Kelly's list for Lodge Road it has Piddock Street then the shop and then Park Road.
The building marked by Mike is 382 Lodge Road the address of Heath's

The Douro Wine was number 30 and was part of Abbey Buildings (I think). That is the building Lyn and I thought was the chemist until we realised the numbering was wrong.

1579554678675.png

Janice I lived in Ford Street. The road going clockwise were Ford Street/Lodge Road(The Flat)/Little Park Road/Piddock Street/Lodge Road/Park Road. Unless they lived where Yarnolds
ahh ahh carol so was the wine shop nick named the hole in the wall ?? if so you have just solved a family mystery for me

lyn
Hockley horse and cart.JPG
Heres why Lyn

I would think their residential address was on Little Park Road but their commercial address was the chemist on the corner of Ford Street.

I agree with you Carolina about the order of the roads but the directory tells me Yarnolds was number 30 - corner of Ford Street and Lodge Road which is the number visible in your second photo above. While Heath's was 382 on Lodge Road at the corner created by Little Park Road and Piddock Street. Their residential address was 76 Park Road (I think it was all Park Road back then) and the commercial side was 382 Lodge Road.

I agree with you Carolina about the order of the roads but the directory tells me Yarnolds was number 30 - corner of Ford Street and Lodge Road which is the number visible in your second photo above. While Heath's was 382 on Lodge Road at the corner created by Little Park Road and Piddock Street. Their residential address was 76 Park Road (I think it was all Park Road back then) and the commercial side was 382 Lodge Road.
Do you think possibly Kellys got it back to front?

I'm getting confused now.
Post #36 has an error: (edited in bold)
I agree with you Carolina about the order of the roads but the directory tells me Yarnolds was numbers 383, 384 and 385 - corner of Little Park Road and Lodge Road. While Heath's was 382 on Lodge Road at the corner created by Little Park Road and Piddock Street. Their residential address was 76 Park Road (I think it was all Park Road back then) and the commercial side was 382 Lodge Road.
Number 30 was the Douro Wine.
The article in #38 was the one I originally saw but the Ford Street corner with Lodge Road is clearly 30 on the map.

If Kellys got it wrong then they got it wrong from the 1890s through to the twentieth century. The 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses also give one of these two addresses as William Edwin Heath. The map shows that 76 Park Road road was next to 382 Lodge Road. I'm afraid Ted Rudge is wrong.

Back