• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding Heath Family in Hockley

RSGrosse1

Brummie babby
Hello. Here is a photo of the W E Heath Pharmacy in Hockley from around 1910. I suspect that this pharmacy does not exist anymore since there is no listing for it on Google. Would anyone in the group know anything about the family that owned the pharmacy?

My birth father's family is Heath and they came to the US in 1670 from Warwick, Warwickshire. I am firmly convinced that we are related to the Heath family who owned this pharmacy; however, I cannot do any research about that without knowing more information about Walter Edwin Heath's ancestors. According to the Kelly's Directory, his address was 382 Lodge Road, 76 Park Road, Hockley. Walter was born in 1859 and died on June 8, 1929 in Hockley.

I was able to trace the family back to Joseph Heath (baptized June 12, 1762), from Birmingham, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Heath, but everything has stopped. I do not have a subscription to Ancestry and found this information on Family Search.

Any assistance is appreciated.....

Attachments

• Heath Pharmacy.jpg
    Heath Pharmacy.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
A quick look but I'm not sure I agree. All from familysearch...

Walter Edwin Heath born West Bromwich, birth registered Dec qtr 1860.

As per 1871 census his parents are George Heath and Eliza Ann (Hingeley)

George Heath's birth listed as Clifton, Staffordshire and on his marriage to Eliza in 1855 his father is listed as William.

There is a baptism for a George Heath 10 Apr 1827 Clifton Camperville, Staffordshire, parents William and Louisa.

George Heath is with parents and a brother on the 1841 census living in Clifton Camperville.

William and Louisa are still in Clifton Camperville in 1851. William's birth is 1785 Clifton Camperville.

William Heath marries Louisa Parker 17 Jan 1816, Appleby Magna, Leicestershire. His residence is given as Clifton Camperville.

And there is a baptism for a William Heath 28 Dec 1784, Clifton Camperville, parents Rochard and Mary.

Last edited:
Thank you for this; however, the owner of the pharmacy posted was Walter Edwin Heath. This is the W E Heath Chemist shop.

Sorry, that was mistake (corrected) - Walter Edwin was registered 1860 West Bromwich the son of George Heath and Eliza Ann Hingeley and so on.

The listing for Heath's Cash chemist seems to have vanished between 1940 and 1942 - listed on the 1940 phone book but not the 1942 one. Thebuilding still seems to be there but looks to be a boarded up building.

You might already know this but when Walter died he left quite a sum of money:1579468461367.png

William took over the shop from Alfred Lambert Smith between the 1888-1890 directories, which would be between 1887 and 1889. In the 1891 census he is living at 76 Park Road, where was presumably the residential section.

Thanks for all of this. Walter Edwin Heath died in 1929 and I suspect that there was no one left in the family to be able to take over for him, so the business simply stopped. Based upon the assistance I received from MWS, I am even more convinced that this Heath family is directly related to my 8th great grandfather. Mikejee, thanks for the info about the business and thank you, pjmburns, for providing me with George's death date and location.

as janice said the shop is still standing...its the one on the corner with the green shutters see below street view....have to say that when walter died in 1929 he left massive amount of money for a chemist in hockley...historical rate of interest for todays money would make it about £ 1,636,011.29.

lyn

Thanks for all of this. Walter Edwin Heath died in 1929 and I suspect that there was no one left in the family to be able to take over for him, so the business simply stopped.
It was certainly still called Heath Cash Chemists until at least 1940s (see #6). I think the son Roland is listed at 76 Park Road. Will see if I can connect him to the Lodge Road shop.

It was certainly still called Heath Cash Chemists until at least 1940s (see #6). I think the son Roland is listed at 76 Park Road. Will see if I can connect him to the Lodge Road shop.

i wonder what the word cash means....so it looks like walters son roland may have run the shop after his dads death..

lyn

I looked it up. It means they would not give goods on credit. If you couldn't pay you couldn't have. I think when I was little (!) Boots labels used to say "Boots Cash Chemist".

Janice
382 lodge road and 76 Park road are adjacent buildings. As I said before the 1891 census lists him at 76 park road, whereas the 1901 and 1911 censuses list him at lodge road. the 1891 & 1900 ones have just him there, whereas the 1911 have him, wife Esther Annie (20 years younger) with children Harvey Roland (5) and Jessie Winifred (3)
map c1950 showing 382 lodge road and 76 Park road.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike . When I looked it up the Hockley history site just said Ford Street and Lodge Road - no mention of Park Road at all.
In that case the street view may be the wrong corner. I need to check.

Last edited:
i agree jan i am confused now because i have got 382 lodge road on the corner with ford st not park road

lyn

I was basing it on this info from "Around Hockley Through Time" - I now think this is wrong. 1940 Kelly's puts the chemist between Piddock Street and Park Road,

Heath Chemist

the shops more or less op 382 are showing nos 395 and 395 jan

jan i think the chemist shop was on the diagonal corner to the shop with the green shutters which would make on the corner of lodge road and park road in which case its long gone...what threw me was that the numbering goes up in ones on lodge road..so please ignore my street view on post 12 as the chemist has definately gone

Yes - very unusual numbering. I have just reached the same conclusion. It was where the trees are. There were several roads at that junction which, as you say, are long gone.
Quite a few bombings in that area - including 3/362 which was quite close.

Back