• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding Catholic Graves in Birmingham

Appleman

Brummie babby
Hi

As a long time distant Brum born lad (QEH 1943!) I have spent some years trying to find my ancestors who were in Brum back at least as far as 1750.

The C of E side are not that hard to trace but even after 20 years I find new info with the help of kind friends who are equally bitten by the bug ;-)

I long since gave up on finding my RC roots in Brum but just lately an opening has appeared and I have begun to remove some of the mist.

Finding their burials is a real problem! There seems to be no on line data of MIs or Burials in RC chgurches or cemeteries but I have sort of gathered that Witton has an RC section. I have seen notes of others - at Lozells for instance but does any kind soul have or know how and whgere access can be obtained to this sort of RC burial data? Its not that long ago I am looking for - 1800-1920 would be a help. They are mostly Irish families in my tree who will have come over before 1860. I have links to St Annes on Alcester Street.

Any thoughts?

Colin... in Cambridgeshire

St Josephs on the corner of Thimble Mill lane & Long Acre, Nechells was the firat catholic cemetery in Birmingham https://www.stjosephs-nechells.co.uk
It was later converted from a cemetery chapel to a Parish Church. They have some records ther - They are probably also in the Central Library - doubtful if viewable on Line. may be worth contacting St Josephs, though
There is also a Catholic Cemetery at Old Oscott College - https://www.oscott.net/ Not sure when they started allowing ordinary people to be buried there. Certainly for some years now.
Most City Council cemeteries have R.C. sections Handsworth is now computerised, Brandwood is getting there, Witton maybe by Xmas. Others
Many catholiocs are buried in non R.C. cemeteries, so you could try Key Hill & Warstone lane as well - you can do that here on the forum if you list names & years.

Thanks Brian

I yesterday found another KS who did a look up for me on Key Hill and Warstone Lane which produced burials for my family that I knew nothing of before but 2C2Rs so not that close and not those I am lookin for ;-)

I have family in Handsworth so a url for that Cemetery website would be very helpful, please?

I had a look at St Josephs and it had a huminex link for MIs which looked interesting but didnt turn up anything :-( sadly!

Ill perservere but dont see myself being in Brum Central Library soon...

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas tho!

Colin

Hi Colin,
www.bmsgh/org. They copied and computerised KH, WL & Handsworth and are currently transcribing Witton.
Wendy normally does the look ups on her and I help for KH & WL, although also available at Vyse St Info & Pen Museum, Frederick - all via the Friends.
Handsworth has a full look up database - they are open 7 days a week and are usually quiet on weekends & Bank holidays 0121 554 0096 or email [email protected] - No actual on line searching. The Council isn't THAT Forward - despite the motto!
I'm sure on a tour of St Joseph's last year - they said the records are in the Library, but they had local deatils - pherhaps the M.I.'s than?

I gather bmagh have tied in with 'Find my Past' so you may be able to get some info that way - but still probably only handsworth, Key Hill & Warstone Lane.

I'm sure the Forum will rise to the challenge once they are all back from the Jubilee break!

Brian

I am not sure if the records show where the burial took place but all the RC records are at St Chad's House (next to the cathedral). You need to book to see them and I have not really looked at any apart from St Josephs. Those records show the date, name, age, road and also informant. I do not think they have a grave number - that may be listed elsewhere.

Janice Burns

I looked at the RC records for St Chads at my local LDS Family Search Centre in Exeter. I rang first and asked to hire the film and they let me know when it had arrived. It didn't cost much but as it was quite a long time ago I can't remember how much. There was no reference in the records as to where the person was buried. To find your nearest one try https://www.familysearch.org/locations

Judy

Thanks Jayell,

I too have used the LDS Film service here in Peterborough but its some years ago and not knowing if there is even a record of his death in the St Chads Data I am reluctant to go to that level of trouble or put another to it if none of my Family are there.

I am plugging my way back via the Certifciates and at least I have found a trail. I am now waiting for James Collerin & Bridget Brennan (or Brannaen or Barannan!)'s Marriage cert of 1868 which should tell me if she was also a Sarah and which spelling of her name was right and who their parents were and may be where they orognated... the I have a chance of more backwards progress....

But thanks for the thought!

Colin

Hi Brian

Oscott replied very fast and have nothing for me.

It sounds as if when I have garnered all i can from the certificates I may need t visit Brum again and call in to St Chads etc

I have spent a space this evening searching through the amazin range of books at https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Its a spell of lateral thinking then some searching and cycling the processes!

Thanks for your help and input - truly amazing... loads of odd loose ends coming even more together!

Colin

I am not sure if the records show where the burial took place but all the RC records are at St Chad's House (next to the cathedral). You need to book to see them and I have not really looked at any apart from St Josephs. Those records show the date, name, age, road and also informant. I do not think they have a grave number - that may be listed elsewhere.

Janice Burns

Hello Janice,

Im door that I am a bit late getting back!

I very rarely get to Brum nowadays and when I last tried found the St Chads folk very unhelpful when I sought info in the past. I think they hold my RC grandads withdrawal from Clerical training to marry my Gran as a step too far.

By the way are you related to Ray or Daniel?

Hi Guys
I am not an expert on graves and cemetrys may be i am just being suggested
my knowledge of sutton coldfield aint to clever but is old oscott cemetry the same as the other cemetry
as i have been told and i have been there to this cemetry right next door to the good hope hospita groinds as it over looks the
cementry grounds
If coming from the sutton parade redcapp road pasing the old st georges barracks from sutton coldfield town centre
you come to what i was told it is and that is the old sutton cemetry but coniue passing the cem gates and the good hope hospital
heading to what i think they call oscott there is a new cem , i say new but i presume its ben there years
my late father in law is burried inside there he his a catholic and must to my amazement there is an cathlic quarter for all
the catholic burials rows and rows of them stretching right back and very early years some are and some are of the early 1900
this is just a pasing thought in thinking of our friendsquest
if they are truly catholic and irish blood is it possibly being flown back to ireland to be burried
like my late fathers wife she was not burried with him she went back to her roots with her welknown family in ireland
Please excuse my ignorance of not knowing of cemetrys of sutton coldfield
best of luck in your searching ,, Astonian,,,,,,,

Hello Janice,

Im door that I am a bit late getting back!

I very rarely get to Brum nowadays and when I last tried found the St Chads folk very unhelpful when I sought info in the past. I think they hold my RC grandads withdrawal from Clerical training to marry my Gran as a step too far.

By the way are you related to Ray or Daniel?
No Ray's or Daniel's that I know of but Burns is my married name so I might not know. I agree the priest at St Chad's archives is a bit brusque and it can be a pain as the files are not digitised - you need to search microfilm. You also have to book an appointment and photocopies are pricey. The earlier ones are latinised (if there is such a word) and make it hard to read.

Some of my Jessops ( Hubert Cornelius Jessop, wife and infant) I found in the Nechells RC MI records. I looked in the Oratory's MI records as my father remembered his grandfather's (John William Jessop) very long funeral procession to the Oratory in 1940's. His wife Clara Jane Jessop was buried there in 1929.

There's also an RC cemetery at New Oscott College. When they demolished St Peter's (just off Broad Street) the excavated remains were re-interred there.

Thats very interesting because I had understood from said Grandfather James Allouisious Collins, who withdrew from Training for the priesthood and later married my Gran....that his father and uncle had built a n extension to that Church. I trained in Birmingham as a Surveyor with Bigwoods (was E, S & B) 1961-1964 and got to walk all around their for my mentor Dennis R Byrne. They were happy days for an 18 year old.

ApplemanY

For future reference the cemetery next to Good Hope is Sutton Coldfield Cemetery, Rectory Road. This is different to New Oscott Cemetery which is also known as Oscott College Cemetery.

For future reference the cemetery next to Good Hope is Sutton Coldfield Cemetery, Rectory Road. This is different to New Oscott Cemetery which is also known as Oscott College Cemetery.
It's a lovely cemetery next to Good Hope, and in daytime hours is a much better and easier place to park when vsiting in the hospital. I have stayed in there looking round whilst the wife took an elderley neighbour to clinics a few times.

Back