• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Finding a family mystery

Maz49

My gt gt grandfather apparently was a publican in Aston Birmingham around 1850/60/70. He was William Smith and had a daughter Ellen Letitia Smith. On her marriage 1884 she stated her father was a publican deceased. I would love to know more about him, his wife and Ellen’s birth.

Regards Marilyn

For a start there are mentions of a Mr William Smith, Queens Hotel, Aston September 1871.

In 1881 mention of a late William Smith, Model Brewer, Aston.

1863 William Smith, beerseller, Aston Road.

This seems to be a bit difficult. The 1871 census , when searched for an Ellen Smith with father William Smith in Birmingham or the immediately adjacent areas shows only a grocer and provision dealer who , if he had an off licence could be described as beer retailer, though I do not think it likely that this is him. No one listed as a publican. In the 1872 PO directory there are 7 William Smiths listed as a publican and 3 as a beer retailer ((which could be someone running a beerhouse or an off licence

Found a death but can't see a matching birth.

Who were the marriage witnesses?

Did she put the same on her second marriage?

Back