• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Final resting places of the famous in Birmingham

i would love to know where birminghams first historian william hutton is buried...i believe its a bit of mystery so i must do a bit of research when i can...at the min i am just reading his writings...

lyn

Gosh, I didn't know some of those people were buried in Birmingham.
Inigo Jones in Witton and Arthur Lowe in Sutton - that's a surprise!

Gosh, I didn't know some of those people were buried in Birmingham.
Inigo Jones in Witton and Arthur Lowe in Sutton - that's a surprise!
Me too utterly surprised! Also surprised that Inigo Jones is described as a prominent Parliamentarian. My first thought of him was as an Architect.

Lyn,

Dennis Williams maintains he is buried in Aston Parish Church on this thread:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/william-hutton-family.50429/
Other sources say that other family members are buried at St Bartholmews.

Find-a-Grave confirms that the memorial is at St Peter & St Paul Church, Aston.

Maurice :cool:

yes i had heard this maurice also that there is bust of him at st margarets church ward end where some say he is buried...such confusement lol...i wonder if anyone can find the burial record for him on ancestry..im not subbed at the min thanks

lyn

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, we have some great cemetery symbolism going on here. In the Victorian era the urn became a symbol of death and the return of the physical body to dust while the soul was everlasting. The urn’s history started in Pagan religions that carried out cremation. The ashes of the deceased where commonly collected and buried in a collard urn.

The Drapery usually depicts the veil between life and death and the crossing of that plane and to others it can symbolise God’s protection until Resurrection. Drapery remained a favourite symbol of the Victorians and is often seen covering urns, as in this one.

Books are quite common and can symbolise a number if things:

A religious or holy book, such as the Bible, the Koran or the Book of Mormon, to indicate the deceased’s spiritual beliefs and/or vocation, such as a minister, priest, teacher, librarian, author, cook, etc.

The Book of Life, either in a general sense or specific to the biblical passage in Revelation stating that only those whose names are contained within this book will receive everlasting life in heaven.

• The deceased’s personality, i.e., he or she was open to new experiences, ideas, thoughts, etc., or sharing with others.
  • His or her eagerness and/or desire to learn new information, skills, etc., during life.
  • A record of the individual’s accomplishments.
  • A reflection of his or her good deeds, i.e., that the deceased lived a pure life and has no reason to feel ashamed or hide anything.
  • The concept that a headstone or grave marker itself serves as a biographical document of a life lived, and that each person “writes” such a book during his or her lifetime.

Its always nice to know a little about the person to understand tis meaning.

We all know the Square and the Compass is a symbol which is traditionally associated with the Freemasons and appears on their insignia.

The Square and the Compass are symbolic of an architect’s tools of the trade. Both the square and the compass are measuring instruments and so represent judgement and discernment. The compass draws circles which are a symbol of eternity and also infinity. However, the square can be viewed as being material and representing ‘fairness, balance, firmness’ and also something that is stable and a firm foundation to build upon.

The two elements together form a hexagram which often has the capital letter G inside it to denote God.

Thanks for that Mort. I know very little about the symbolism.

Davenport - do you know which book it is and if it’s open on a specific page ? (I presume you’re a relation of Baron John Davenport perhaps ?).

Viv.

Lyn,

More confusion. One image on Ancestry supposedly of William's burial at Aston, is actually his wife's burial at St Martins. Awful image but it does say Jane wife of William Hutton, whilst the text panel at the side (and the query I entered), was for
William !!!!!

Attachments

• Jane Hutton.jpg
    Jane Hutton.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
  • William Hutton - 1723-1815 Aston.jpg
    William Hutton - 1723-1815 Aston.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
thanks maurice i knew there was a mystery surrounding his burial place which is such a shame as hutton was such a prominent man...

lyn

The Coventry Evening Telegraph of 30/9/1937 claims Hutton is at Aston Church. Extract from British Newspapers Archives.

Viv.

Attachments

• 3CD23D8F-43F1-4CDC-B4C3-436E7969DB53.jpeg
    3CD23D8F-43F1-4CDC-B4C3-436E7969DB53.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
thanks viv so if hutton is at aston parish church surely there must be a headstone for him...when i can get down there i will take a look around

lyn

Thanks for that Mort. I know very little about the symbolism.

Davenport - do you know which book it is and if it’s open on a specific page ? (I presume you’re a relation of Baron John Davenport perhaps ?).

Viv.

I do not have a close up photo of the book but as far as I can remember it was placed by the brewery employees. It records their appreciation of him being an excellent employer.
Baron John was my 2nd cousin 3x removed,his great grandfather is my 4 times great grandfather Robert Davenport founder of Davenports brewery.
He was previously married to Jennie’s Sister Leah Levy.

If anyone is interested, we have some great cemetery symbolism going on here. In the Victorian era the urn became a symbol of death and the return of the physical body to dust while the soul was everlasting. The urn’s history started in Pagan religions that carried out cremation. The ashes of the deceased where commonly collected and buried in a collard urn.

The Drapery usually depicts the veil between life and death and the crossing of that plane and to others it can symbolise God’s protection until Resurrection. Drapery remained a favourite symbol of the Victorians and is often seen covering urns, as in this one.

Books are quite common and can symbolise a number if things:

A religious or holy book, such as the Bible, the Koran or the Book of Mormon, to indicate the deceased’s spiritual beliefs and/or vocation, such as a minister, priest, teacher, librarian, author, cook, etc.

The Book of Life, either in a general sense or specific to the biblical passage in Revelation stating that only those whose names are contained within this book will receive everlasting life in heaven.

• The deceased’s personality, i.e., he or she was open to new experiences, ideas, thoughts, etc., or sharing with others.
  • His or her eagerness and/or desire to learn new information, skills, etc., during life.
  • A record of the individual’s accomplishments.
  • A reflection of his or her good deeds, i.e., that the deceased lived a pure life and has no reason to feel ashamed or hide anything.
  • The concept that a headstone or grave marker itself serves as a biographical document of a life lived, and that each person “writes” such a book during his or her lifetime.

Its always nice to know a little about the person to understand tis meaning.

We all know the Square and the Compass is a symbol which is traditionally associated with the Freemasons and appears on their insignia.

The Square and the Compass are symbolic of an architect’s tools of the trade. Both the square and the compass are measuring instruments and so represent judgement and discernment. The compass draws circles which are a symbol of eternity and also infinity. However, the square can be viewed as being material and representing ‘fairness, balance, firmness’ and also something that is stable and a firm foundation to build upon.

The two elements together form a hexagram which often has the capital letter G inside it to denote God.
Excellent Mort!

Me too utterly surprised! Also surprised that Inigo Jones is described as a prominent Parliamentarian. My first thought of him was as an Architect.
I am confused. Witton Cemetery opened in 1863 but Inigo Jones (architect and elected MP in 1621) died in 1652. That is 200 years before Witton opened - two online biographies I saw said he is buried with his parents at St Benet Paul's Wharf London.

Lyn,

More confusion. One image on Ancestry supposedly of William's burial at Aston, is actually his wife's burial at St Martins. Awful image but it does say Jane wife of William Hutton, whilst the text panel at the side (and the query I entered), was for
William !!!!!

hi maurice i wonder if you could post the whole pages please that actually say where the burials took place...thanks maurice..

lyn

Last edited:
I am confused. Witton Cemetery opened in 1863 but Inigo Jones (architect and elected MP in 1621) died in 1652. That is 200 years before Witton opened - two online biographies I saw said he is buried with his parents at St Benet Paul's Wharf London.

I think the Sandwell Evening Mail has got a bit carried away here. There were a couple of Inigo Jones in Birmingham after Witton Cemetery was created, but not famous or parliamentarians.

Marie Bethell Beauclerc...See Forum Thread....

Lyn,

Here's the right hand page (considerably reduced) of the Aston entry from Ancestry for a William Hutton aged 92 buried on 26 September 1815. All sources seem to agree that he died on 20th September 1815. The previous burial on the left hand page was for 16 Septembe before he even died! But I must admit that the address, Bennett Hill, Saltley. had me wondering. FMP only has the Find-a-Grave entry for the memorial. The wife called Jane (above post) is incorrect because he apparently married a Sarah Cocks. Make of it what you will.

Attachments

• RH page.jpg
    RH page.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 12
I’ve searched newspapers and strangely can only find notices of Wm Hutton’s death but nothing about his funeral, either at the time of his death or belatedly - except the one I’ve posted previously in post #12.

Viv.

Lyn,

Here's the right hand page (considerably reduced) of the Aston entry from Ancestry for a William Hutton aged 92 buried on 26 September 1815. All sources seem to agree that he died on 20th September 1815. The previous burial on the left hand page was for 16 Septembe before he even died! But I must admit that the address, Bennett Hill, Saltley. had me wondering. FMP only has the Find-a-Grave entry for the memorial. The wife called Jane (above post) is incorrect because he apparently married a Sarah Cocks. Make of it what you will.

many thanks maurice....there was a bennetts hill in saltley i believe... not to be confused with the one in the city centre...i will try and do a bit more research on just who he married..

lyn

Lyn,

The name Sarah Cocks of Aston-on-Trent seems to be the only wife, but no one seems to know when she died - presumably before William. Good luck. :)

Re Hutton. Been exploring the idea of where was Hutton most likely to be buried. He worshipped at Carr’s Lane (Independent). If so, does a burial at Aston Church make sense ? This clipping is from 17/11/1917 (B’ham Daily Gazette).9497C71D-BE41-443F-B04B-9B9BC8E076D1.jpeg
Source:British Newspaper Archives

Last edited:
Lyn,

From Wiki :-
In 1756, Hutton opened a paper warehouse – the first in Birmingham – which became profitable. He built a country house on Bennetts Hill in Washwood Heath

yes thats the info i have maurice...i guess washwood heath is not far from saltley or should say it wasnt back then and aston parish church is quite close having said that why is there a X at the end of his burial record.....also this info

Both Hutton's houses were destroyed in the Birmingham Riots in 1791 (the Priestley Riots) leading to his historical account in Narrative of the riots. He managed to recover £5,390 in a claim for damages against the town.

Back