• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Final resting places of the famous in Birmingham

Marie Bethell Beauclerc...See Forum Thread....

Lyn,

Here's the right hand page (considerably reduced) of the Aston entry from Ancestry for a William Hutton aged 92 buried on 26 September 1815. All sources seem to agree that he died on 20th September 1815. The previous burial on the left hand page was for 16 Septembe before he even died! But I must admit that the address, Bennett Hill, Saltley. had me wondering. FMP only has the Find-a-Grave entry for the memorial. The wife called Jane (above post) is incorrect because he apparently married a Sarah Cocks. Make of it what you will.

Maurice :cool:

Attachments

• RH page.jpg
    RH page.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 12
I’ve searched newspapers and strangely can only find notices of Wm Hutton’s death but nothing about his funeral, either at the time of his death or belatedly - except the one I’ve posted previously in post #12.

Viv.

Lyn,

Here's the right hand page (considerably reduced) of the Aston entry from Ancestry for a William Hutton aged 92 buried on 26 September 1815. All sources seem to agree that he died on 20th September 1815. The previous burial on the left hand page was for 16 Septembe before he even died! But I must admit that the address, Bennett Hill, Saltley. had me wondering. FMP only has the Find-a-Grave entry for the memorial. The wife called Jane (above post) is incorrect because he apparently married a Sarah Cocks. Make of it what you will.

many thanks maurice....there was a bennetts hill in saltley i believe... not to be confused with the one in the city centre...i will try and do a bit more research on just who he married..

lyn

Lyn,

The name Sarah Cocks of Aston-on-Trent seems to be the only wife, but no one seems to know when she died - presumably before William. Good luck. :)

Re Hutton. Been exploring the idea of where was Hutton most likely to be buried. He worshipped at Carr’s Lane (Independent). If so, does a burial at Aston Church make sense ? This clipping is from 17/11/1917 (B’ham Daily Gazette).9497C71D-BE41-443F-B04B-9B9BC8E076D1.jpeg
Source:British Newspaper Archives

Last edited:
Lyn,

From Wiki :-
In 1756, Hutton opened a paper warehouse – the first in Birmingham – which became profitable. He built a country house on Bennetts Hill in Washwood Heath

yes thats the info i have maurice...i guess washwood heath is not far from saltley or should say it wasnt back then and aston parish church is quite close having said that why is there a X at the end of his burial record.....also this info

Both Hutton's houses were destroyed in the Birmingham Riots in 1791 (the Priestley Riots) leading to his historical account in Narrative of the riots. He managed to recover £5,390 in a claim for damages against the town.

A bit more info. I’ve read there was a recognised lack of any memorial to Hutton both in Birmingham and Derby (birthplace). I think the one at St Margaret’s Ward End must have been put in place as a response to this. The memorial (which is very impressive) is just that: it’s not grave. Viv.

thanks viv that is what i was told by someone who is researching hutton...i now wonder where his wife is and when did she die... :rolleyes:

lyn

Lyn/Viv,

This looks like Sarah Hutton's burial in a vault at Aston & would account for why William is there. I've done a screenshot to keep the size down, but she was buried on 29 January 1796 after dying of asthma at the age of 65. Address is stated to be Washwood Heath. Bill Dargue confirms that the house was demolished, though not as a result of the riots as they temporarily moved into a cottage while repairs were being effected.

Attachments

• Sarah Hutton Burial Aston.jpg
    Sarah Hutton Burial Aston.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 9
thanks maurice much appreciated...strange that it does not say wife of william hutton..

lyn

Lyn,

Well that's more than many burial entries of that period show. I couldn't locate a christening in Derbyshire for her, but it is difficult to know how complete the non-conformist entries are, but I checked Ancestry, FMP & FS. Perhaps any inscription on the vault may reveal who is in there.

thanks for looking maurice at least this clears up where william and sarah are buried...my next task (as it keeps me out of trouble) is to try and find an old map showing where bennetts hill washwood heath/saltley was..must say i am enjoying reading the observations of william hutton he also had a good sense of humour...stay safe and well maurice

lyn

Sarah’s Burial is in a vault in the Churchyard which might make it easier to locate. Viv.

Hutton married Sarah Cock at St Phillips on 23/6/1755 in the presence of Mr Grace and Mr William Ryland. Sarah is referred to as “Sally” by Hutton. Sarah’s father was at this time living in Aston. Hutton was happily married to Sarah/Sally for 40 years (his words).

So now starting to see good reasons for him being buried with Sarah at Aston. Viv.

Back