• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Final resting places of the famous in Birmingham

Hope you don’t mind me posting this extra information on the Davenport family.
Not only was Baron John Davenport a philanthropist, donating £100,000 in July 1930 to establish the charity in his name and still going today with an estimated fund value of £30 million.
But his cousin Frank R Davenport 1857-1941 purchased land in Solihull in 1935 and built 20 cottages known as Davenport Almshouses, these were originally for women who had retired from domestic service including ,maids,cooks,and housekeepers. This charity is still going strong and now accommodates couples and single men.

Attachments

• 95C4EF25-DCD6-4168-8927-44BC96C66E73.jpeg
    95C4EF25-DCD6-4168-8927-44BC96C66E73.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 11
that is very interesting info...must say i have never hear of this charity....i did find it odd that they do not cater for single women though...are the almshouses still there...

lyn

I think the "couples and single men" is in addition to the original single women. The almshouses are still there in Bentley Heath.

just done a quick street walk...the almshouses look very nice...no good for me as i cant seem to see a bus service and i dont drive :D :D :D

Back