• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Films From The 50s And 60s?

The 'Wild West' was an area as large as most of Western Europe. Actually the American 'west' became 'the west' at different places at different periods of time, from the Appalachians > Missouri River > The Rockies (Great Divide) > etc.
Apart from the American Indian tribes there were few whites except on the western seaboards. Expansion was slow, covered wagons 1810 - 1860 after which time railways were beginning too cris-cross the country and with it a population expansion.

Last edited:
One of the channels my Wife often records and we watch Sunday morning when Gardners World isn't on (also recorded).

Ah, the good old days. Back then, PC Dixon could walk into a warehouse to find a gang of armed thugs gathered round a safe and he'd say, "All right, you lot, you're nicked!" And the bruiser of a leader would say, "It's a fair cop, officer. We'll come quietly." How times have changed.
........ yer there is always a :)bruiser

........ yer there is always a :)bruiser
Surprising that people watched reruns of Dixon of Dock Green but no-one seemed to notice the re-run of The Blue Lamp in the last few weeks. Back then PC Dixon could walk down the street, singing, talk to some dodgy character who looked like Dirk Bogarde in a doorway and get shot dead in the first 20 minutes.

Surprising that people watched reruns of Dixon of Dock Green but no-one seemed to notice the re-run of The Blue Lamp in the last few weeks. Back then PC Dixon could walk down the street, singing, talk to some dodgy character who looked like Dirk Bogarde in a doorway and get shot dead in the first 20 minutes.
I watched it last week it was dirk bogart. sad: :sob:

Great film. The first time I saw it was at school where we had a film society run by a couple of film buff masters who hired all sorts of films and showed them in the lecture room either at lunchtimes or after school.

Ah, the good old days. Back then, PC Dixon could walk into a warehouse to find a gang of armed thugs gathered round a safe and he'd say, "All right, you lot, you're nicked!" And the bruiser of a leader would say, "It's a fair cop, officer. We'll come quietly." How times have changed.
Sorry but I'm going off thread but D of DG - was so reminiscent of Saturday night TV ( in my mind it was preceded by the Billy Cotton Band show and earlier still by Granstand, which we had to watch while my Grandad checked his football coupons).
In one episode PC Dixon was called to a block of flats where a woman had complained that her husband's suit had been stolen off the washing line. I don't recall the dialogue but it ended with him saying that he would get CID to investigate! Was that just poor scripting or the level at which crime would have been investigated in those days lol

Sorry but I'm going off thread but D of DG - was so reminiscent of Saturday night TV ( in my mind it was preceded by the Billy Cotton Band show and earlier still by Grandstand, which we had to watch while my Grandad checked his football coupons).
In one episode PC Dixon was called to a block of flats where a woman had complained that her husband's suit had been stolen off the washing line. I don't recall the dialogue but it ended with him saying that he would get CID to investigate! Was that just poor scripting or the level at which crime would have been investigated in those days lol
I bet andy Crawford found the suit......The BBC scheduled Dixon of Dock Green in the family time slot of 6:30pm on Saturday night. At the time it started on air in 1955, the drama schedule of the BBC was mostly restricted to television plays so that Dixon had little trouble in building and maintaining a large and loyal audience. In 1961, the series was voted second most popular program on British television with an estimated audience of 13.85 million. Even in 1965 after three years of the gritty and grimy procedural police-work of Z-Cars, the audience for Dixon stood at 11.5 million. However, as the 1960s wore on, ratings began to fall and this and health questions were asked around Jack Warner
. I have just found a full episode. "firearms issued". so i am watching that now

I bet andy Crawford found the suit......The BBC scheduled Dixon of Dock Green in the family time slot of 6:30pm on Saturday night. At the time it started on air in 1955, the drama schedule of the BBC was mostly restricted to television plays so that Dixon had little trouble in building and maintaining a large and loyal audience. In 1961, the series was voted second most popular program on British television with an estimated audience of 13.85 million. Even in 1965 after three years of the gritty and grimy procedural police-work of Z-Cars, the audience for Dixon stood at 11.5 million. However, as the 1960s wore on, ratings began to fall and this and health questions were asked around Jack Warner
. I have just found a full episode. "firearms issued". so i am watching that now
Saturday night 6 30 back in 67 I was watching it eating my tea and the police knocked our front door

Back