• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Excellent video Brumgum. Love it or hate it, it's a great insight into how the Bullring worked as a whole structure. Viv.

Many of the links no longer work on this thread so I've put together several below. Happy viewing! Viv.

Reposted some of the lost film links on this thread

"Opening of the new Bull Ring 1960s"

"Bull Ring Then & Now"

"1960s Bull Ring Part 1"

"1960s Bull Ring Part 2"

Promotional film of 1965 Bull Ring Shopping Centre
From British Film Institute collection

https://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-bull-ring-shopping-centre-1965/

I went to the Bull Ring one Sunday morning in 2000 with my (slow focusing) analogue video camera to capture the dismantling of the old market. I went again in 2001 and 2002 then added a news item at the end to make a complete video. I've now edited it down to 14 minutes.

Last edited:
Very grateful Banjo for posting this. An important record of another phase of Bull Ring history. For me it brought about various feelings and memories like:

Hiking up and down those ramps and pedestrian underpasses, usually rushing from one place to the next, but using the very familiar map in my head to negotiate the quickest route. If most of the route could be achieved without being out in the open, all the better.

Being sidetracked by the little stalls and shops in the underpasses, especially at Christmas. Added to his there was always something to grab your attention whether it was on the outside stalls, the indoor market or in Woolworths.

The crowds of shoppers, loaded with carrier bags sometimes making it difficult to get from A to B. I’m surprised at how busy it always seemed looking back.

A vivid memory is of the smell of food cooking on the air; chips usually. Sometimes the smell was vegetables going off on the ground from the open air stalls. For some reason I remember popcorn, but can’t put my finger on where that came from.

Getting onto one of the outdoor or undercover escalators and wishing some pedestrians would move over so that I could walk down it. Thinking how it would be better if they’d put steps in instead of escalators, less hindrances if you were a fast walker !

When I was young I thought the new (1960s) Bull Ring was the ‘future’ and was a very positive part of Birmingham as a city. I only vaguely remember the pre-1960s Bull Ring so in my mind growing up with the ‘modern’ Brum was a good phase. As a youngster in the 50s/60s to me the dirty, and old polluted Victorian buildings of the past seemed awful and often an eyesore in the City (sorry folks).

But as I got older I started to realise what a mess all this modern development had become, particularly as it aged. It then struck me that ‘town’ was turning into a cold and soulless place to work and shop in. The film has reminded me of all that.

So conflicting emotions for me having watched Banjo’s video. Thanks for posting it Banjo, it’s brought back many memories and feelings.

Viv

Last edited:
Very grateful Banjo for posting this. An important record of another phase of Bull Ring history. For me it brought about various feelings and memories like:

Hiking up and down those ramps and pedestrian underpasses, usually rushing from one place to the next, but using the very familiar map in my head to negotiate the quickest route. If most of the route could be achieved without being out in the open, all the better.

Being sidetracked by the little stalls and shops in the underpasses, especially at Christmas. Added to his there was always something to grab your attention whether it was on the outside stalls, the indoor market or in Woolworths.

The crowds of shoppers, loaded with carrier bags sometimes making it difficult to get from A to B. I’m surprised at how busy it always seemed looking back.

A vivid memory is of the smell of food cooking on the air; chips usually. Sometimes the smell was vegetables going off on the ground from the open air stalls. For some reason I remember popcorn, but can’t put my finger on where that came from.

Getting onto one of the outdoor or undercover escalators and wishing some pedestrians would move over so that I could walk down it. Thinking how it would be better if they’d put steps in instead of escalators, less hindrances if you were a fast walker !

When I was young I thought the new (1960s) Bull Ring was the ‘future’ and was a very positive part of Birmingham as a city. I only vaguely remember the pre-1960s Bull Ring so in my mind growing up Modern was good a good phase. As a youngster in the 50s/60s to me the dirty, and old polluted Victorian buildings of the past seemed awful and often an eyesore in the City (sorry folks).

But as I got older I started to realise what a mess all this modern development had become, particularly as it aged. It then struck me that ‘town’ was turning into a cold and soulless place to work and shop is. The film has reminded me of all that.

So conflicting emotions for me having watched Banjo’s video. Thanks for posting it Banjo, it’s brought back many memories and feelings.

Viv
smashing memories viv... just my opinion but i agree with your comment about town now being cold and soulless..the new buildings bland and clinical looking also for me no atmosphere at all due to the lack of people around..viv you would have no problem at all now getting from a to b on foot...

lyn

Back