• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Film cameras

Is film sill readily available for your cameras and do you develop and print your own?

very interesting maybe looks like mr duncan could have taken his camera with him while serving in ww2...maybe he was a friend of your dads who gave him the camera...nice mystery waiting to be solved :) oh has the film been used

lyn

very interesting maybe looks like mr duncan could have taken his camera with him while serving in ww2...maybe he was a friend of your dads who gave him the camera...nice mystery waiting to be solved :) oh has the film been used

lyn
I don't think he was an acquaintance of my Dad's - he had a habit of buying things at random from jumble sales! The roll film has been partly used. But no idea if anyone has ever opened the back.

I don't think he was an acquaintance of my Dad's - he had a habit of buying things at random from jumble sales! The roll film has been partly used. But no idea if anyone has ever opened the back.
right i see...also not sure the case is the original one possibly it would have been black but cant be certain about that..interesting though

The Autographic Kodak Model B (1925-1934)
The camera back had an area through which notes could be written onto the paper
backing of the 127 film.

Perhaps smaller than it looks in the photograph (Well it did fit in your pocket!)
W = 6.2 cms (2.44")
H = 12.5 cms (4.92")
D = 2.3 cms (0.9")

Some interesting facts - found on the web
While it’s very simple to shoot with, it’s also quite limited– for an instantaneous exposure you need bright sunlight or maybe very bright light cloud, not within two hours of sunrise or sunset. Otherwise you have to time the exposure– the manual (which I was lucky enough to find a copy of online) has an extensive table of exposure times for everything from taking a picture of someone in a shadow to taking a picture of someone in a low-light room with dark walls (the former is about 1 or 2 seconds; the latter about 40). Nothing closer than I think 6 feet will be in focus. You have to really think about if you can take a snapshot of what you want. Having grown up with totally modern cameras, it’s interesting to experience that kind of thought process– it gives a different, valuable perspective on snapshots of the period.

Last edited:
A good photographer in the darkroom might be able to get something from the film. You never know

Is film sill readily available for your cameras and do you develop and print your own?
Oh yes, 35mm is available in many shops, Boots often has a couple of different types in stock, but these often sell out. There are some independent film developers who sell film too. One of the best and most varied film stockists (online) is called analoguewonderland, you can discover a huge range of just about every film on there.

I don't yet develop my own film, although I am looking into getting a home kit for black and white film (which is easier than colour negative).

There are budget development options, such as in Max Spielmann stores, and I think Snappy Snaps which can process and print/scan your photos. These can be perfectly useable although some will spend a bit more to go to an independent lab. It's worth noting that black and white uses a different process to colour negative, so it is actually more expensive to develop. Also colour can often be done in the same day, even within an hour, whereas b&w sometimes needs to be sent off taking a few weeks at times to be returned.

Charles, I hope you do try to develop your own photos, it's magical when those black and white images slowly appear on the blank paper!!
Dad had a shed (before he became too disabled) and there were blackout blinds on the windows. He made his own enlarger. He used to let me "rock" the special dishes with the chemicals in, extremely carefully of course, and we would watch as the faces appeared. It was my job to dry them and keep them flat or trim where necessary.
Happy days.
rosie.

Charles, I hope you do try to develop your own photos, it's magical when those black and white images slowly appear on the blank paper!!
Dad had a shed (before he became too disabled) and there were blackout blinds on the windows. He made his own enlarger. He used to let me "rock" the special dishes with the chemicals in, extremely carefully of course, and we would watch as the faces appeared. It was my job to dry them and keep them flat or trim where necessary.
Happy days.
rosie.

Couldn't agree more, fortunately my secondary school had a Photography Society and darkroom, and the first time I saw an image appear in the developing tray I was hooked. Much later I used wartime blackout material inherited from my parents to create a darkroom in my spare bedroom. Digital photography and printing, which I now use exclusively, is quicker, less messy and in its own way 'magic' but traditional methods are usually the most satisfying.

I have two drawers upstairs full of stuff as shown below. Cables for obsolete printers, computers etc. My first digital camera a Casio which used compact flash cards with a massive 32Mb memory. Something called 'Shanghai Moons Automation' ... I've forgotten what I used it for ... I suppose Google would tell me.

Other items as can be seen ... I didn't look in the other drawer, I think it is full of chargers ... :grinning:
View attachment 134740
Only 35mm?

Here are a couple of Niagara falls... First is taken with a 6 mm Fish-eye from the Sky Tower (Canada).
It is not possible to get both the American and Canadian falls in the same picture with an ordinary wide angle lens.
Second is the Maid of the Mist.
Of course I had to greatly reduce the quality in order to upload them.

Attachments

• 600 dpi - Niagara Falls - small.jpg
    600 dpi - Niagara Falls - small.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 17
  • Niagara Falls - Maid of the Mist - small.jpg
    Niagara Falls - Maid of the Mist - small.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 17
Oh yes, 35mm is available in many shops, Boots often has a couple of different types in stock, but these often sell out. There are some independent film developers who sell film too. One of the best and most varied film stockists (online) is called analoguewonderland, you can discover a huge range of just about every film on there.

I don't yet develop my own film, although I am looking into getting a home kit for black and white film (which is easier than colour negative).

There are budget development options, such as in Max Spielmann stores, and I think Snappy Snaps which can process and print/scan your photos. These can be perfectly useable although some will spend a bit more to go to an independent lab. It's worth noting that black and white uses a different process to colour negative, so it is actually more expensive to develop. Also colour can often be done in the same day, even within an hour, whereas b&w sometimes needs to be sent off taking a few weeks at times to be returned.
Have a go at developing and printing your own black and white. It’s a lot of fun and you have more control over the end result. I used to do lots of it.

Only 35mm?
I was referring to medium format. 35 mm is, or rather was, poor quality.
In the early eighties I had my own darkroom and developed both black 'n' white and colour; film and prints.
Sepia and blue toning etc.
Still got my Mamiya RB67. But haven't used it for a long time now. Used to shoot weddings (not with a shotgun).
These days people don't want quality; they want cheap. They seem to think digital cameras are great. Pity they don't know how to get the best out of them.

But if you are happy to use 35 mm great.
35 mm Slide is better quality than colour negative and a lot easier to print too.

Here are a couple of Niagara falls... First is taken with a 6 mm Fish-eye from the Sky Tower (Canada).
It is not possible to get both the American and Canadian falls in the same picture with an ordinary wide angle lens.
Second is the Maid of the Mist.
Of course I had to greatly reduce the quality in order to upload them.
Fabulous pics John. Just had a rummage in my photo box. Went to USA and Niagra Falls in 1989.
Although my pics are okay, they are quite boring compared to yours. No idea what camera we had at that time, some cheapo I would imagine. We have a Lumix now, hardly used really, which is a shame . I am no photographer. I think that is why I love this forum so much. Regards, Sue

Back