• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Film 1940

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I don't know if any one as seen this site, but there is some good film there.

Terry

https://www.movinghistory.ac.uk/homefront/films/ce4.html

Example...

Description:

The film begins with a medium shot of D Company’s bugler and is followed by the Company, in uniform and with rifles, assembling on Trinity Road in Birmingham. In a column they are led to Aston Park by a marching military band. In the park soldiers from the company perform drills and exercises in front of a large civilian crowd. These include: machine gun practice; repelling an aerial attack; bayonet practice and unarmed combat. There are also shots of unidentified officers who are overseeing events. When the display of skills has been concluded the Company marches out of the park and past a number of Home Guard officers. Finally the company returns to Trinity Road where they 'fall out' and there are some close up shots of the soldiers, several of whom light cigarettes as they mill about in the street.

https://www.movinghistory.ac.uk/homefront/films/ce7.html

I was looking at this site too when I was trying to find a picture of Baines Bakery for another thread. It is of the Wilson family from Handsworth.
it is only a small clip - I wonder how people can see it in full.
Polly

Is'nt that strange, that was exactly how I found it. I can't seem to see it in full either. Perhaps someone will come along and show us.

Terry

Is'nt that strange, that was exactly how I found it. I can't seem to see it in full either. Perhaps someone will come along and show us.

Terry
It's funny how a thread starts us all googling the same things isn't it! :)
I wondered if you have to actually go to an archives department somewhere to see the whole thing.
I really enjoyed the clip of the soldiers - I am sure I have photos of my uncles in that uniform - I am going to have to look for them and see if they are the same.
Polly :)

Back