• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fifty years ago today

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Friday 6 March 1959 was my last day working for the City Architect's department,at the then-called Civic Centre building, now Baskerville House. I had started straight from the School of Architecture in September 1955, and at first assisted on various Corporation-owned buildings, at first on upgrading and rehabilitation jobs, like the Art Gallery, Lord Mayor's Parlour and the Council House main staircase and Banquetting Hall. After six months or so I also got involved in the long-term redevelopment of the larger Civic Centre area, which ended in a more flexible (and hopefully more human) approach than the formal fascist plan the Council had previously adopted on the recommendations of Sir Herbert Manzoni. As a result, blocks of flats were built on the site of the old Crescent, overlooking the canal basin and the new Repertory Theatre, later Symphony Hall and the rest were built, roughly as envisaged in the plan. No one ever dreamt in those days that local industries would all but disappear and the canals would become a tourist attraction.
That exercise involved me in lengthy discussions with Sir Herbert's Inner Ring Road team over the treatment of the Easy Row junction with Broad Street. After that I was given a lot more work on the ring road - first the pedestrian subway at Hill Street/Hurst Street, and later the redevelopment of the old fish market which was actually built, roughly where Woolie's had stood in my day. I would liked to have had something more to do with the awful Midland Red bus station, but I believe it was was done entirely by the engineers - after I had left anyway.
The office was not a happy ship, and we reckoned the younger assistants on average stayed no more than two years. I was happy to carry on learning for a bit, and my salary increased from £500 a year to £750 but after three years felt it was time to get out into the wide world. Also at my mum had died, my dad remarrried, and I felt a bit of a bacon sandwich still staying at home. So I moved to London, and for the first 45 years moreorless turned my back on Birmingham. Thanks to this website, I am again very conscious of our city's history, and enjoy every opportunity to keep in contact with the place and it people.
Peter

Thanks, Peter, a fascinating bit of personal and more general history.

Chris

Back