• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fifties Food

My mom and dad were foster parents. We used to have to take the babies down to the Welfare in Washwood Heath to be weighed. I remember bringing home the tins of National Dried Milk and bottles of Orange Juice. Remember that - it was dark orange and tasted nothing like the 6d Jaffa oranges mom used to buy from Ted Haynes in Alum Rock.

There was a “Welfare” on Marsh Lane Erdington too. My mom would go and bring back National Dried Milk and bottles of Orange Juice for my younger brother too. Although I do have vague memories of my mom taking me as well.

Your right about the taste, it was almost but not quite entirely unlike orange juice.

I have a feeling they gave out orange tablets too, Vitamin C maybe?

You can't beat baby orange juice from the Welfare, though you could still buy it at the chemists last time I was over there.

Maurice :cool:

You can't beat baby orange juice from the Welfare, though you could still buy it at the chemists last time I was over there.

Hi Maurice,

I thought it was yummy and used to drink it from the bottle, - it was for my little sister, not me really!
But they used to do Cod Liver Oil in the same bottles, and I loved that too.

We used to get it from the Welfare in Treaford Lane Ward End.

Kind regards
Dave

Dave,

A bit concenrated straight from the bottle and ours came from the Welfare on Startford Road, almost opposite the bottom of Springfield Road. I've been intolerant of milk for years now, so have half a litre of orange juice on my cornflakes every morning. Unfornately not baby orange juice, but pretty good nevertheless. Cod Liver Oil - never did like that, yet I quite liked my weekly dose of liquid paraffin, but drinking that out of the bottle might have catastrophic effects! :eek:

Back