• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Female tram conductors in the first World War

pooley35

proper brummie kid
Can anyone tell me the date that the Birmingham Tramways got rid of the female tram conductors that they employed during the first World War.

After consulting various publications I still can't find a date when the conductresses finished up after World War One. By the middle of 1917 there were 1,260 women employed by Birmingham Corporation Transport (not all as conductresses obviously) and I would imagine this number remained much the same until the armistice of 11th November 1918. After this with men returning from the war and replacing the women I would guess that it was probably sometime in early 1919 when the conductresses finished up but it would be nice to find out for sure. Of course the conductresses returned again in 1939 and this time they were there to stay.

IMGP3326.jpg IMGP3327.jpg
Sorry,can't answer your original question,but thought this old clipping may be of some interest to you.

Back