• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fellows Grave at Key Hill

Thank you, Wendy. You are very kind. This one looks very promising too!

Many of the Fellows' I have researched so far, passed away either in Balsall Heath (Mary street, Knutsford street pre 1910), or the Ladywood area (Icknield Port rd, St Marks st, Dudley road Hospital etc). I found my ggrandparents John and Sarah Fellows buried at Lodge Hill cemetery. There may be many more there. Though I believe that Lodge Hill only opened in 1895.
I suppose there would be a practical limit to the distance a horse and cart would make in those days. I wonder what that would be, do you know?

Thanks Wendy :)

Glad to help Kev. I hope this is one of your Fellows. Lodge Hill was opened in 1895. I will put a post on a separate thread. I am not sure about burial distance, although cemeteries were built in area's for the local population. the only one not was Key Hill. This was mainly for dissenters although I have found C of E buried there.

Morning Moma P

Is it possible that with your wealth of information you may have any other details on the Fellows Headtone.

I have Joseph & Sarah around that time BUT brother & sister.
Also Ann but she would have been bn c1849.

Do we know who the Ann was on the headstone?
Tall order I know but....

Sparkhill Lad: Moma P is on holiday for two weeks, so please be patient - unless someone else can answer?

Hi Kev,

Do you by any chance have a Florence Fellows in your family history born in Birmingham in 1877.

Her parents names were John Fellows (1840) and Caroline Nee Groves 1847.

Sue

Fellows Grave at Lodge Hill

Hi Kev

such a lovely day today we went to find the grave you mentioned, John & Sarah Fellows d.1922 & 1948

Here are the picture we have taken for you, sadly no pinicle as you say you remember.

If you zoom in on the pictures you can quite clearly see the inscriptions.
will give them to you anyway.

John Fellows who fell asleep 23/3/1922 age 68
Sarah Fellows who fell asleep Jan 5 1948
age 83 Reunited

The front kerb stone reads:
Loving Memory of our Dear Parents.

unable to get this last bit in picture as stone fallen, but did straighten other 2 for you.

oops too big will pm them to you.

Hi Sparky
Thanks so much for taking the time to go out there. I really do appreciate it. You guys are the best!
The pictures are super. It looks a lot different than I recall. My nan took me there about 20 years ago. I remember it looking a lot more grandiose. Funny how memories can be. She is there now, too (Jessica Fellows, nee Langford), but she was cremated and scattered at the cremation wall they have at that cemetery (it doesn't seem quite the same to me, not being able to mourn at a headstone, but that's another subject)
Anything you need over here--American research, just let me know
Thanks again
All the best,
Kevin

Hi SBS...
Sorry, I missed your post. I have been a bit busy lately. Let me check my files and get back to you on Florence Fellows
I'll post soon
Regards, Kevin

Back