• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

FELLOWS family lived in & around Aston

Re: FELLOWS family lived in Birmingham- Re Arthur Fellows

I am endeavouring to find information on Arthur Fellows and or family.
Arthur was born [abt] 1914 in Birmingham.
It is believed he was a policeman and then joined the navy or Mechant Navy.
He travelled to Australia on the Unicorn [abt] 1958.
He married Marie Chick in Australia possibly in New South Wales 1958 -1960.
Died in a motor car accident 3 May 1962.
Arthur was my father however I was only 1 year old when he died and I
know nothing about his family.
Regards to all
Anne Fellows - Australia.

hello anne, i can see theres a birth of an arthur fellows in aston, bham 1913 oct-dec with mothers maiden name boulton, but theres no way to be sure this is yours. his marriage certificate should give you his fathers name and occupation if you can get it.

That's fantastic service, I only just listed the information a few minutes ago.

Thankyou Shera.

Regards Anne

Hi Anne

how I wish we were connected I have searched my tree and 2 others I have access to and not one single Arthur in any tree.

so sorry :(

good luck with your search

Derek

Hi Anne,
sorry, there is no Arthur in my Fellows family tree either. Closest I come to that name is a James Arthur Fellows b. 1926

If you have not already done so, you might see if Arthur was your person's middle name, by the way. I have more than a few relatives who used their middle names as their first name throughout their life.

Best of luck
Kevin Fellows

hello,

my Grandfather's first wife was called Florence Fellows and her family were from the Aston area.

Her patrents were John Fellows and caroline nee Groves and she had 9 brothers and sisters

Caroline, John, Lizzie, Julia, Ada, William, Frank, Norah, and Alfred. if they are your relatives I have more information if needed.

Sue
Hello
My great - grandmother lived with, and later married an Alfred Fellows. Frankfort St in Aston area. 1911 census. He had a few so s with her... Edwin, Jack...I am quite interested in knowing if any of his descendants still live in the Bham area.

Are you certain it is the Alfred Fellows of Frankfort St? He appears to be single in 1939 and still living with his step mother in 1957.

Are you certain it is the Alfred Fellows of Frankfort St? He appears to be single in 1939 and still living with his step mother in 1957.
Thanks for responding. Yes that was his name and definitely (back of) Frankfort St. He had a son also called Alfred, so I reckon that is who was listed as "living with his Stepmother" - said stepmother being my Great Grandma, Charlotte, I guess. Would you be able to tell me the address where they were living? Where did you find that info? In her old age she lived in Quinton. She was a remarkable woman and led a very hard life. I thankfully knew her a little but she died in 1963 I think when I was small. Her daughter,my beloved Nan, lived a very long life too and I promised her I would find more info.....

Sorry, I did think you were talking about the son.

On 1939 register and later electoral rolls they were living at 53 Overdale Road. Previous to that they appear to be living at 4 court 3 Gee St.

ERs are available for certain years on Ancestry and 1939 register is available on findmypast and Ancestry.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did think you were talking about the son.

On 1939 register and later electoral rolls they were living at 53 Overdale Road. Previous to that they appear to be living at 4 court 3 Gee St.

ERs are available for certain years on findmypast and 1939 register is available there and on Ancestry.
Thank you so much, that is amazingly helpful. I do not know the Quinton area at all (and left Brum many years ago), but can see that the address in Overdale Rd is Quinton. I am fascinated now, as the A. Fellows senior was from all reports not a very pleasant person, so the fact she was maybe living with his son still, so late on, is interesting. The other earlier address fits as well, as my Great-Gran began family life in Smith St, Aston, in a back courtyard. My Gran then went to Smith St school, and when I went to Bham central library (the old site) about 18 years ago, I looked in detail into the school records. The huffy, stuffy librarian made a massive fuss, as tbf the books are so delicate and old, but I persuaded her to let me view. Some of the Log books survive, and I found my Nan's entry from 1903-1908, signed by the Headmaster (Mr Bridges, same signature is in all the books she won as prizes). Great Gran b 1872 was largely illiterate, Nanny b 1897, was super clever, but pitch poor, she continues to be my inspiration. It's why I am still teaching!

I assume your nan was also Charlotte then. On the 1901 census she is living on Allesley St with her mother (a widow) and step siblings, children from her mother's first husband.

I assume your nan was also Charlotte then. On the 1901 census she is living on Allesley St with her mother (a widow) and step siblings, children from her mother's first husband.
Thanks very much - yes I had researched all that info a while back. St John's Ave, Allesley St - now bulldozed to make way for Spaghetti junction sadly! Happier times then, tho father had died when she was 3 yrs old, (but pre Alfred, 2nd husband....)I have her original birth certificate from 1897. Her dad had registered her birth. But he died of TB in 1900. I am really grateful for your tips here. I may be back soon with more queries! Cheers :)

Back