• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fellows family history

BrumFellows

Brummie babby
I am researching my family tree and have the following information.
My name is Michael Fellows my father was also Michael Fellows, son of Charles Fellows who was a child of Alfred Fellows and Hinda Fellows (maiden name Hoff). Alfred's father was William Henry Fellows and further back I have found a John Winkle Fellows.
On my great grandmother's side of Hoff, I have found her father was Robert Hoff and his father was Michael Hoff.
I have also found further maiden surnames of Salmon/Solomon, Coney, Lunn so far.
My great grandfather Alf had shops in Digbeth and Hinda's father Robert was a tailor. My grandfather Charlie wrote two stories that were published in the local newspapers and I have the original typed stories as well as many photos and other things.
Anybody know of or were related to them?
I am working on Alfred and Hinda's children, of which there were 8 or 9 as well as there own brothers and sisters.

good luck with your research....i have moved this thread from birmingham history to surname interests where you may get more response

What a coincidence. I've just been looking into a friend's family tree and think they may be descended from John Winckle Fellows and Ann Lunn, from Sarah, a sister of your William Henry maybe.

There is one uncertainty along the line so can't be totally sure.

One other coincidence I've came across is that Sarah and her sister, Elizabeth, seemed to have married two different men called Benjamin Johnson.

What a coincidence. I've just been looking into a friend's family tree and think they may be descended from John Winckle Fellows and Ann Lunn, from Sarah, a sister of your William Henry maybe.

There is one uncertainty along the line so can't be totally sure.

One other coincidence I've came across is that Sarah and her sister, Elizabeth, seemed to have married two different men called Benjamin Johnson.
That's great...thank you for getting in touch. I've found that John Win(c)kle Fellows as it has been recorded variably on census records, his father was also a John Winkle Fellows.
I've got a family tree put together so far on ancestry UK and will add more to it.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
So your William Henry was the son of the younger John Winkle Fellows? Which would make my friend's Sarah Fellows his aunt.

Do you have the elder John the son of a Peter Fellows and his second wife Ann Boden, who had also been married before. I wonder if her maiden name may have been Winkle or Vickers?

Also did you see the elder John was in the 2nd battalion of the 3rd foot?

So your William Henry was the son of the younger John Winkle Fellows? Which would make my friend's Sarah Fellows his aunt.

Do you have the elder John the son of a Peter Fellows and his second wife Ann Boden, who had also been married before. I wonder if her maiden name may have been Winkle or Vickers?

Also did you see the elder John was in the 2nd battalion of the 3rd foot?
Hi
Yes the names all work out to what info I have.
Haven't looked into the military information yet though.

Hi,

I remember a William Fellowes who lived in Netherton Dudley, and was a prominent Concert Pianist.
I believe he died fairly young in the 1970s. Despite the spelling, I wonder if there might be any connection.

Kind regards
Dave

I am researching my family tree and have the following information.
My name is Michael Fellows my father was also Michael Fellows, son of Charles Fellows who was a child of Alfred Fellows and Hinda Fellows (maiden name Hoff). Alfred's father was William Henry Fellows and further back I have found a John Winkle Fellows.
On my great grandmother's side of Hoff, I have found her father was Robert Hoff and his father was Michael Hoff.
I have also found further maiden surnames of Salmon/Solomon, Coney, Lunn so far.
My great grandfather Alf had shops in Digbeth and Hinda's father Robert was a tailor. My grandfather Charlie wrote two stories that were published in the local newspapers and I have the original typed stories as well as many photos and other things.
Anybody know of or were related to them?
I am working on Alfred and Hinda's children, of which there were 8 or 9 as well as there own brothers and sisters.
In case they're connected to your enquiry there was a Fellows radio & repair shop at 2156 Coventry Road, Sheldon during the 1950's. We lived next door. It was a 2-storey building with the repair lads upstairs. They used to hang out of the windows wolf whistling my 17 year old aunt when she visited us wearing a skirt with multiple petticoats. We left the area in '61 & I think the shop was still there then.

Back