• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fellows Family 19th century burials

fellowkev

master brummie
Hello everyone,
If there is anyone in possession of burial records for Birmingham cemeteries (beyond what is online--which has proved fruitless) can you please have a look and see if my great, great grandparents are listed in the records. I have hit a complete brick wall.

Here are their names:

William Fellows b. abt. 1816, died September 17, 1883 in Knutsford Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, and his wife:
Phoebe Fellows (nee Hickman), b. abt 1819 in Dudley, died May 30, 1901 in Knutsford Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham
Their eldest daughter Sarah Fellows died soon afterwards, too, on March 4, 1902.

Thank you for your time and help.

Kevin

Last edited:
hi kev...looked on ancestry cant be sure but it looks like their burials are not there (not all church burials have been transcibed as yet) would think they are all buried in the same place though...not sure which was the closest church to knutsford st balsall heath..

i have however found a double baptism on the 22nd april 1857 in the parish of st thomas for edward and sarah fellows..parents william and pheobe...williams occ is labourer address is ryland road..could this be your sarah with bro edward..you may already have found this info but thought it worth a mention..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, great to hear from you. Well thank you very much for looking for me. Yeah, I have not found anything on their burials on the online records.
Yes, those baptisms are indeed the children of William and Phoebe. I actually don't have them as a PDF or even a screenshot--though I remember writing down the dates of their baptisms when I used to sift through LDS microfilm looking for family, donkeys years ago. Thanks for that, Lyn. I hope all is well with you. Love all those street photos of yours :)
Kevin

Hi Leslam,
thanks for taking the time to look, that knocks two more off the list. I know they are not in Lodge Hill either because it was not open at the time. I'll try Witton next.
Thanks again,
Kevin

Last edited:
The dates given are when most churchyards were closed in towns and near to. They may be in a family grave in a churchyard which would mean searching records in the library, these were mainly families that were well off. I would imagine they are in a cemetery near by but the records are not online as yet.

hi kev yes thanks im doing ok..i think we need to find out where the nearest churchyard to knutsford road balsall heath is or was..this could be a good starting point to finding out where william..pheobe and sarah are all buried..i shall be going to the library in a couple of weeks time and am quite happy to try and track them down...the records will go by the name of the church i think and not the names of those buried so i do need a starting point...will do some digging later on..please excuse the pun lol

all the best

lyn

Thank you Wendy, that is useful information to know.

Gosh, thanks Lyn, what a favor that would be. I will research close-by cemeteries. I have been combing through some of the past posts on the subject to see where others have gone to find records. Seems that the library is the best bet, as Wendy has said. I'll see if Yardley is the most promising cemetery to pursue
back soon
Kevin

kev its not a problem i know what its like try to trace burials..i was thinking that as you live in usa would you like me to phone yardley and witton and ask them to do a search..they have alway been very good with me and usually phone me back within a week to 10 days but if they are not busy they will check while i hang on...reason for offering is i am not sure how they feel about phoning to usa...just let me know and i will get cracking..of course you could always email them...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
In 1901 Balsall Heath was classed on the census as Worcestershire and there is a death registered in 1901 at Kings Norton, Worcestershire. I am not sure if this would mean a possible burial outside Birmingham. Sorry to complicate things.

Janice

Historically, the registration districts in Birmingham have been quite complicated. Kings Norton reg district included Harbome and large chunk of Edgbaston.
Balsall Heath is another area that was included. If you find the entry on FreeBMD, click on the registration district and follow the links through, you'll see a grid that explains what's included.

Thank you for the insight Leslam and Janice. You are correct: it does add another haystack within which to find that needle

Hi Lyn,
that is a marvelous idea. Thank you very much.

Balsall
Heath is stuck right in the middle of several public cemeteries, so it is anyone's guess where they are buried.
William Fellows died in 1883 when Balsall Heath was still part of Kings Norton parish in Worcestershire.It was part of Kings Norton parish until 1891 (Kings Norton joined Birmingham twenty years later), This might mean i have to search the St.Nicolas church records.
I believe they went to services at St. Pauls (they lived on Mary street), but that church has since been demolished.

Phoebe (Phebe) Fellows (nee Hickman) died in 1901. I expect she would have wanted to be buried wherever her husband William was buried.
I am ruling out Lodge Hill and Brandwood cemeteries, since they were not open at the time of William's death.

So yes, I would say Yardley, and Witton, and perhaps Brookfields, which I think is Warstone cemetery, otherwise it is a search of the St. Nicolas church registers for me.

I wonder too, If William would have been interned in his home church yard in Halesowen, where he was born? I guess that is a possibility too. I checked what little there is online, and nothing. I really do need to fly over and spend a week digging in, so to speak.

Thank you for your kind help, Lyn
Kevin

ps. I just wrote an email to the St. Nicolas parish church. They ask for a 15 pounds charge to look in the parish register. Those darn fees can add up quickly, but I am happy to pay for this one. I will let you know what they say.

I think St Nicholas are on the Ancestry site so I will try and look for you. Before you pay.

They are but I can't see any of the names you gave with correct dates.

Janice

hi kev...as leslam as said they are not at warstone lane or key hill so thats a start....i am away for the weekend so i will get cracking on tuesday...keep us informed as to what you may find out...will be in touch..ps my gut instinct tells me yardley or witton..my nan died in hockley but she is at yardley... but thats only a guess...

all the best

lyn

My sub. for Findmypast has lapsed but I just tried searching without logging in. They do supply a basic burial index with the "deaths" and in some cases they give Handsworth, Witton, Warstone and Key Hill but only dates. (Even if you pay there is not much more except the number in the grave).
Warstone Lane Cemetery and Key Hill graves are on www.jqrg.org for a burial index and grave numbers, also memorial inscriptions if available. Might be helpful in future.
I hope this helps.
rosie.

Hi Kev

my mother's surname was Fellows and also know her family originated from Dudley..I have a few certificates that I will have a look and see what information they give,i dont have access to any burial records unfortunately.

Steve

hi kev just to let you know that i have been in touch with both witton and yardley and have given them the details of all 3 fellows deaths...they will do a search for me and phone me back...this could be in a couple of days time or a week or so depending on how busy they are...also yardley did tell me that they did not open until 1883 but the lady is not sure which month it was...fingers crossed we find them will be in touch as soon as i have heard something...

all the best

lyn

Bless you, Lyn, Thank you so much for your help. Yes, the more I read, the more I understand: public cemeteries are a recent concept. Before public cemeteries a person was buried in a local church yard
Best regards,
Kevin

Thanks Steve, one can always hope. Curious what Fellows line your mother was?
Rosie, thanks for the link. I will check that out tomorrow.

Regards,
Kevin

Bless you, Lyn, Thank you so much for your help. Yes, the more I read, the more I understand: public cemeteries are a recent concept. Before public cemeteries a person was buried in a local church yard
Best regards,
Kevin

no probs kev....just one thing to remember that not all burials were local to where the person died..my nan died in hockley but she was buried at yardley....witton would have been closer which is where grandad is hence we can get a right run around finding them..

will be in touch...

lyn

Hi keV,
Just picked up on your thread about a burial, if I have got it correct you or your relies are from st marks street Ladywood
If that's correct you would have probably known half a crowd like me from there
But getting back to the question of where's they are hurried well I think I told you a very long time ago that I am a ladywoodrite kid
And I lived just around the corner facing the old bike shop of Mr clews
Our address was 243 kingedwards road my dad died there march 28 1958 of cancer he was hurried in Hands worth cemetery
My brother died in new canal street in the 1938 digbeth he was hurried there as well but yet my grand mother died at the same address
1953 was burryied in south hardly so one cannot say really where one is going to burryied to me its a lottery game
Just like the health care have a nice day best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,

hi kev they are not at yardley so we can cross that one off....if they are not at witton it will be thinking caps on time lol

lyn

Thanks Lyn! You are so helpful. Crossing fingers for Witton :)

Alan: Various members of my Fellows family (and a Thomas Dugmore) lived at Richmond Place 4 back 120 St Marks Street, Ladywood from about 1914 until the late 1950's, when I assume the place was demolished. Thanks for the insight. You are correct--a bit of a lottery

happy to help kev...as you say fingers crossed for witton...we let you know when they get back to me..

Well thank you very much, Lyn. At least I can cross a few places off my list. You have been very kind

With no birth or marriage certificates found either, they are quite an enigma. Now it is like they disappeared off the face of the earth! :)
Kevin

hi kev dont give up they must be somewhere...i have now contacted st nicholas at kings norton asking them to search their records for me if they dont hold their records there it will have to be a library job...fingers crossed

lyn

Lyn,
St Nicholas are on Ancestry. Baptisms 1813 to 1912, burials 1813 to 1964 and marriages 1754 to 1937 (some are banns only). I did look at burials but will have another search.

Janice

I haven't been able to find a burial yet but...
There are 2 baptisms at St Phillips for William born 1814, Thomas born 1817, Henry born 1819 and (looks like Sherille) a daughter born 1821. All baptised on 10 Sep 1822 and address is given as Walston Lane. Parents are Thomas and Mary and Thomas is listed as an engine cutter.

I have also found a burial of Mary Fellows aged 3 days in 1816 at St Mary's. Not sure how relevant these are.

Janice

I now think the name is Priscilla.

Back