• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

February 2008 edition article on History of BHF site by MommaP

R

Rod

Fantastic this month, because our very own MommaP has written an article about the history of this website. As usual its bursting at the seams with interesting articles about our past lives.

I wrote the article to try and highlight the Birmingham History Webring meaning the forum and all the main sites. I think the work Rod, John, Keith and all the wonderful people who keep the forum and the main sites going needed some publicity. Also the members who give their help to others and support the site needed a mention. Now maybe we will get some new members. Then people will make a donation and the site will keep running........Well fingers crossed!:)

I have just received my Brummagem mag there is a brilliant poem about "Alex's" the pie waggon as we called it. The poem is written by Wilf Rayner who discribes himself as a 60's rocker. I also enjoyed very much the piece by Carolyn Arnold "A War Time Wedding" very moving!

Only got my copy today (don't ask it's a long story), plenty in it again ,good value for only £1:75.
Well done Wendy for your full page item on the BHWR, including the photo of us at The Jewellers Arms, although that may have put some people off joining us

Don't forget an evening with Carl 17th July @ The Barn

Colin

how do i get a copy of this monthly magazine as you can see im new to this site and not very good at it yet but no doubt i will eventually get the hang of it !

Hello and Welcome Mandyj, it can take a while but you will get used to it. If you scroll back on this thread there is a form you can fill in to order Carl's magazine If you have any problems come back to me.

Brummagem magazine is stocked by W.H.Smith shops if you can`t locate it ask an assistant as it is put in some unusual displays.

I love my sub of this magazine, I've been getting it for a long time now. When I've read it, my Mom & Dad have it & I'm forever saying to them that they should write an article & send it in.......but do they?? Trying to get them to put down their thoughts & memories is like pulling teeth.......they have some brilliant stories. I've even offered to write it for them, tape it etc!!

You should do it Dolphie its very rewarding especially when others tell you how much they enjoyed it. The article is put in as written and not edited. Like you I have been having the magazine for years.

thank you everyone for your help
does it have to be a birmingham whsmith i come under sandwell:)

smile and have a good day !

Any W.H.Smiths shop should stock it. They even stock it in Solihull and they think they are posh!

Last edited:
I know that Colin and only read the post saying they should stock it in W H Smiths.

The only reason I don't pay my subs by card etc: is I've no Bank account or Credit Cards.

If some kind fellow member could get me the Mag each month from local stockists I will send the money to them in advance if they like plus postage:)

Back