• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

featherstone mary

jjuj

master brummie
Looking for any info on mary featherstone b 1843 - father thomas featherstone.
2 marriages first one to william?? daffern - 2 children lavina b 1866 birmingham & william h b 1869 wolverhampton.
2nd marriage george hickman 1870

cannot find record of first marriage to daffern or mary on any censuses :(

Appreciate any help please

Re: mary featherstone

ive found them in 1871 living dudley road, wolverhampton

george hickman 30 bricklayer b. wolverhampton
mary hickman 28 b. hockley warks
lavinia daffern 5 b.bham
harry daffern 2 b. wolverhampton

louisa hickman 25 lodger b. wolverhampton

ive found them in 1871 living dudley road, wolverhampton

george hickman 30 bricklayer b. wolverhampton
mary hickman 28 b. hockley warks
lavinia daffern 5 b.bham
harry daffern 2 b. wolverhampton

louisa hickman 25 lodger b. wolverhampton

Thank you Shera, Perhaps she didn't marry mr daffern!! I beleive that mary & george had children together. At least i know they existed in 1871. Thanks again
Jean

i thought that you had the later censuses jean, if you havent here they are in 1881 living 64 cobden st. wolverhampton
george hickman 40 bricklayer b. wolverhampton
mary 38 b. warks
emily hickman 3, harriet hickman 5, sarah a hickman 2, lavinia daffern 15, william h daffern 12.

also sarah hickman. mother. widow. 62

I don't think that Mary was married before she married George Hickman.
I can find no trace of births but there is a Mary Featherstone Dafforn age 10 Born Lapworth and possibly her sister Elizabeth Featherstone Dafforn age 13 b. Rowington visiting the home of of David Freeman in Ilshaw Heath, Tanworth,Warks in 1851.

Extracted baptism from IGI,
Elizabeth Featherstone baptised 1837 Rowington, parents Thomas Featherstone/Hannah Daffern.

Last edited:

Alberta you just beat me to it... I was going to ask if they had the marriage cert' of the second marriage, because it would say if she had been married before... and were they sure that featherstone was her maiden name...
[SIZE=+1]Marriages Dec 1870 [/SIZE]
DAFFERN Mary Wolverhampton 6b893
HICKMAN George Wolverhampton 6b893

The Hannah Sanders age 33 born Solihull Shoemakers wife on the same entry as the girls is their mother.
Hannah Featherstone married William Sanders ,1844 St. Martins
On the 1851 census william age 29 b. Rowington is living in rowington.

1841 Lapworth,
Thomas Fetherstone age 30 Farmer
Hannah age 25
Elizabeth 3
Mary 4 months

Last edited:

i thought that you had the later censuses jean, if you havent here they are in 1881 living 64 cobden st. wolverhampton
george hickman 40 bricklayer b. wolverhampton
mary 38 b. warks
emily hickman 3, harriet hickman 5, sarah a hickman 2, lavinia daffern 15, william h daffern 12.

also sarah hickman. mother. widow. 62

Thanks Shera, I found them again 1891 61 cobden street. Sorry to take so long getting back to you, but couldn't get on the site!!!

I don't think that Mary was married before she married George Hickman.
I can find no trace of births but there is a Mary Featherstone Dafforn age 10 Born Lapworth and possibly her sister Elizabeth Featherstone Dafforn age 13 b. Rowington visiting the home of of David Freeman in Ilshaw Heath, Tanworth,Warks in 1851.

Extracted baptism from IGI,
Elizabeth Featherstone baptised 1837 Rowington, parents Thomas Featherstone/Hannah Daffern.

Thanks Alberta,
Looks a bit complicated now!! I am looking into this family for an american friend who has come against a brick wall. Possibly looks as if it was featherstone / daffern who may not have married. I will send her all the info and see if it makes any sense to her.
Jean

Alberta you just beat me to it... I was going to ask if they had the marriage cert' of the second marriage, because it would say if she had been married before... and were they sure that featherstone was her maiden name...
[SIZE=+1]Marriages Dec 1870 [/SIZE]
DAFFERN Mary Wolverhampton 6b893
HICKMAN George Wolverhampton 6b893

Hi Pom, cert Said she was a spinster - father deseased. So assume she was not married before.
Sorry to take so long getting back to you, but couldn't get on the site last night & it does not seem to want my company again today :)
Thanks Jean

Hi, my american friend seems to have found a birth for mary featherston dafforn b 1841 lapworth on LDS original site - not the new one which she helps transcribe on. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help as she is not certain it's the right mary!!! I would not have thought there would be more than one with that surname!!
Thanks Jean

This appears to be the mystery lady,
Mary Fetherston birth registered December 1840 Solihull (office for Lapworth/Rowington births) ref. 16 423.
Your American friend can order it online or you could approach Solihull for copy.

Thanks Alberta, that's the one I found as well. I think that she should send for the cert, it will at the very least prove if it is her one way or another.
Thanks again. Jean

Back