• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fawke/Fawkes

coalman

master brummie
Hello

AS like so many others I am researching the family history, most of the family originated from hereford and moved to Birmingham from 1875 onwards settleling in Aston and Balsall heath.
Christopher Fawke along with his brother Richard run a coal dealer/merchantsfrom Highgate Coal wharf along with Harry Fawke,Thomas Fawke, Arthur and Alfred fawke joining the family concern over the years until 1966 when the wharf closed down.
If anybody can help or indeed remember them please would love to hear from you

Regards

I knew Harry Fawke, and my Mum knew both him and his father. My grandfather (Mum’s Dad) was Leslie Adams, coal merchant, based at Camp Hill Wharf, and my Great Grandfather was Edward Richardson, also a coal merchant. In later years Harry and his mother moved to Shirley (this would have been in the late 1960s)

Hi coalman do you hve this from 1891

1891 Census
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: Chrst Ch Summerfield
Address: 13 Coplow Cottages Coplow St

FAWKE Thomas Head M M 39 Carpenter(Em'ee) Herefordshire - Ledbury
FAWKE Elizabeth Wife M F 37 Herefordshire - Ledbury
FAWKE Frank Son S M 15 Iron Turner(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
FAWKE Wilfred Son - M 10 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FAWKE Bertie Son - M 7 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FAWKE Archie Son - M 4 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham

Or this
1891 CENSUS
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Martin
(8 & 9 Moor St 'Wool Pack',)
Address: 1 Back 8

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
FAWKE Henry Head M M 42 Policeman(Em'ee) Herefordshire - Stoke Edith
FAWKE Harriett Wife M F 41 Worcestershire - Longdon
FAWKE Henry A B Son S M 15 Telegraph Messenger(Em'ee) Herefordshire - Weobley
FAWKE Mary E Dau S F 8 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FAWKE Harriett M Dau S F 6 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
FAWKE Thomas W Son S M 2 Warwickshire - Birmingham

Hi to all
many thanks for replying to my thread.

To leonard job
Your name of Fowkes may in the past have been Fawkes or indeed Faulkes as so many of todays names are related in some way..the way they are pronounced are the same so may well have been a result of some educated scholar merely merely recording them on paper as they had been pronounced to them.
To pomgolian
Many thanks for the census records....though my research has not got as far in the past few months as I would have liked to have progressed I was not aware of these trancribes from the census so they indeed a welcome addition and will give me more information to go on.My great great Grandfather was born in the ledbury area and the fawke family was a large one at that time so all those that was born in the ledbury area such as stoke edith may well have been relatives even distant ones..so thank you again.
To LJCB

I have sent you a private message via your profile.

Thank you again to all and to wish you and your families a very happy new year

There ws a Fawkes family that lived in Barrows Road, Golden Hillock Sparkhill/Sparkbrooke in the 50's & 60's, that where involved with the TOA taxi trade. George and his wife the name escapes me had a son John also a taxis driver and a very beautiful daughter Christine born around 1947. They moved in the late 60's to Warwick Road, Solihull, now knocked down and is now the St Johns hotel site near the centre of Solihull.
I have been informed that Christine died 3 years ago in Kent where she moved with her husband that owned a taxi company. She was for many years the girl on the end of the phone when you called TOA Taxi's

Hello my maiden name is Fawke my father was Bertie Fawke I have photos which may interest you of a Bertie and also a short letter, these were given to me by my relatives in Wales but the photo is definately not my father, however there must be a connection otherwise my family would not be in possesion of such. My Grandfather was Thomas Fawke of Aylton he left B.ham at the same time as another Thomas both ended up in B.ham and show up on the census, different wives and childrens names. My father used to talk of the coal merchants and also one brother who became an undertaker. If any of this info is of use to you I would like to get in touch with you properly. Regards Doris Pritchard

Hello Doris
Thank you for replying and its very good to hear from you, have sent you a private message.

Regards

John

Hello my maiden name is Fawke my father was Bertie Fawke I have photos which may interest you of a Bertie and also a short letter, these were given to me by my relatives in Wales but the photo is definately not my father, however there must be a connection otherwise my family would not be in possesion of such. My Grandfather was Thomas Fawke of Aylton he left B.ham at the same time as another Thomas both ended up in B.ham and show up on the census, different wives and childrens names. My father used to talk of the coal merchants and also one brother who became an undertaker. If any of this info is of use to you I would like to get in touch with you properly. Regards Doris Pritchard

Hello

Harry Fawke was a coal merchant when I worked in Moseley Road 1959 - 63 he was my Uncle. His brother was my father Thomas Christopher, he also had a sister Marion and another brother John. Harry and his mother went to live at Stanton Road, Shirley. I would be most interested in what you have discovered concerning previous family. My Grandfather died before I was born, Annie was his wife, so I don't know much about older relatives. I believe my father had cousins in Sparkhill.

Hello,

Many thanks for replying and hopefully I will be able to help you with a very small potted family history.

Your father was one of 7 children of Harry and Ann Fawke of Studley Street, sadly 3 did not survive early childhood and the last surviving member John( your Uncle) passed away in 1996. Your grandfather Harry, worked as a Coal merchant along with his brother Thomas after taking over the business from their father Christopher who died in 1916, the coal yard was in Studley Street itself and their “offices” were at Camp Hill coal wharf.

Christopher Fawke was born in Hereford, he and his brother Thomas walked to Birmingham from Tarrington, Hereford to find work; Christopher had worked as a farm labourer and Thomas for the Great Western railway in the area. Upon arrival Thomas resumed his work with the railway company in Hockley, Birmingham, Christopher became a bricklayers labourer and after marrying he moved to Queen Street, Balsall Heath where he started his own house removal company, he also took to delivering coal to local house's which soon became his fulltime business. As the business grew he was joined by his other brother Richard who worked for him until he decided to join the GWR company to work alongside his brother Thomas in Hockley.

Christopher’s own father was called John, he was born 1824 and worked as a Hop farm labourer all his life in the Tarrington area until he passed away in 1912.

As I said its only a very small potted family history so please contact me privately with your email address if you require any further information.

Thank you so much for the information you have given me. I am interested to receive any further emails (my email address is [email protected]). As I live the other side of the world I find it quite frustrating to gain any information. Are you willing to tell me your name.

Janet

I knew Harry Fawke, and my Mum knew both him and his father. My grandfather (Mum’s Dad) was Leslie Adams, coal merchant, based at Camp Hill Wharf, and my Great Grandfather was Edward Richardson, also a coal merchant. In later years Harry and his mother moved to Shirley (this would have been in the late 1960s)
Hi there, Edward Richardson was my 2 x Great Grandfather, from memory Leslie Adams was Married to Violet Richardson? My Great Grandfather was Fredrick Thomas Richardson, Violets youngest Brother. Do you have any more information on the Richardson family as I'm trying to write a family history book.

Thank you so much for the information you have given me. I am interested to receive any further emails (my email address is [email protected]). As I live the other side of the world I find it quite frustrating to gain any information. Are you willing to tell me your name.

Janet
Welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Thank you too for post. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Hi there, Edward Richardson was my 2 x Great Grandfather, from memory Leslie Adams was Married to Violet Richardson? My Great Grandfather was Fredrick Thomas Richardson, Violets youngest Brother. Do you have any more information on the Richardson family as I'm trying to write a family history book.
I have sent you an email :)

Back