• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Favourite film stars?

Wait for it then Keith---------------Edmund Purdom

Tyrone Powers wife had an affair with Edmund Purdom.

Lucky devil one for a husband and the other for a lover.

Watch it I'm coming over faint again.

Edmond Purdom - I am off to google him? I haven't got the faintest idea??

keith

She married Edmund Purdon

I liked Dirk Bogard and Cary Grant didn't know it the time both homosexuals LOL

How about James Dean.....he was my heart throb..l guess because my husband favoured his looks.....l remember going to see him one saturday in East of Eden at the odean l think.....only to come out to the news that he had been killed in a car crash.........what a waste....Brenda

Clarke Gable, Ooooooooooh he was the most gorgeous man. At his very best in Gone with the Wind.

He married Carol Lombard, who died in a plane crash, and although he remarried a couple more times he is buried next to her.

Hard to say my favourite actress mmmmmm it has to be Marilyn I guess. The camera loved her, and she knew it.
I was meeting a friend in Sid's cafe in Witton, I was very pregnant, when we were told she had died.

Last edited:
Have to say Steve McQueen In 'The Great Escape' and Audry Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarke Gable, Ooooooooooh he was the most gorgeous man. At his very best in Gone with the Wind.

He married Carol Lombard, who died in a plane crash, and although he remarried a couple more times he is buried next to her.

Hard to say my favourite actress mmmmmm it has to be Marilyn I guess. The camera loved her, and she knew it.
I was meeting a friend in Sid's cafe in Witton, I was very pregnant, when we were told she had died.

Di did you know that in 1939 Robert Donat(Goodby Mr Chips) beat Clark Gable(Gone with the Wind) for Best Actor Oscar:)

I like your choices Norma. Tom Hanks is excellent in all his movies. Love Sleepless in Seattle, watched that so many times and The Green Mile is outstanding, another all time favourite.
Meryl Streep always seems to be at the top of her game. Love Out Of Africa for Meryl, Redford, the location and the music by John Barry.

Ann

Norma,

How funny you mentioned the Governor's wife and Women rule together. Never was a truer word said. The governor's wife was played by Annabelle Maule, and she was my boss and co actress, when I was at The Donovan Maule Theatre in Nairobi. She was a tyrant! Alright for her to be in a film over there, But several of us in the company were offered small parts in The Wilby Conspiracy with Michael Caine and Sidney Poitier. And she wouldn't let us. Meanie!

Love the part when they are flying over Kenya, over Lake Nakuru, because the soundtrack goes so wonderfully with the scenes.

Ann

I didn't know that Alfie. I can't think how they didn't give it to Gable. I liked Robert Donat, was it him in Inn of the Sixth Happiness?

Out of Africa has to be one of the most romantic films, and beautifully shot. It makes you long to see Africa again if you have been lucky enough to get a first taste, I think you'll agree Ann. Loved Redford in The Way We Were, with Barbara Streisand

Di, Also love The Way We Were. I take it you have been to Africa as well and would love to return. I think Africa always 'calls you back'. I was out there in the 70's. Then when 'Out of Africa' was on at the cinema, I went to see it with my husband just before returning to Kenya for our honeymoon. I have the 2 disc special edition D.V.D. and the C.D. of the soundtrack.
This may sound morbid, but it isn't. My mother had dementia for ten years and one of the best ways to communicate with her in the end was through music, which she loved. As she lay dying, my husband put on classic F.M., and when The Theme Music from Out of Africa came on, my tears started to flow. I could see the plane in the film soaring above the african landscape. As the track finished, mom died. It was as if her soul was carried away on that music. The last music she ever heard. I played it at her funeral.

Ann

Di, Also love The Way We Were. I take it you have been to Africa as well and would love to return. I think Africa always 'calls you back'. I was out there in the 70's. Then when 'Out of Africa' was on at the cinema, I went to see it with my husband just before returning to Kenya for our honeymoon. I have the 2 disc special edition D.V.D. and the C.D. of the soundtrack.
This may sound morbid, but it isn't. My mother had dementia for ten years and one of the best ways to communicate with her in the end was through music, which she loved. As she lay dying, my husband put on classic F.M., and when The Theme Music from Out of Africa came on, my tears started to flow. I could see the plane in the film soaring above the african landscape. As the track finished, mom died. It was as if her soul was carried away on that music. The last music she ever heard. I played it at her funeral.

Ann

Ann, what a touching story. keith

Keith I couldn't watch that film or listen to the music for a long time. But I can now, and remember mom with joy.

Ann

Keith I couldn't watch that film or listen to the music for a long time. But I can now, and remember mom with joy.

Ann

Another African association which may be appropriate Ann after your tragic loss, is the 'Circle of Life' by Elton John.... Beautiful words

keith

A lovely way to be able to remember your mother, Ann. A beautiful way to end your life, I hope she could hear it . Our daughter worked in a bush village in The Gambia, and we went out to stay twice each year for the three years she was there. I have so many wonderful memories, that sky at sunset I will never forget. Sally went back for a week last Christmas, she took a bit of me with her.:)

Back to the topic, another film with Redford and the lovley Paul Newman,
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They were good together, both good looking young men.

Di,
I can imagine your daughter Sally would have some wonderful memories of the Gambia, and you, your trips out to see her.

I shall want to be buying the D.V.D.s of the films mentioned. The Great Gatsby, Butch Cassidy and another one, when Redford and Newman starred together, alongside Robert Shaw in 'The Sting'.

Ann

Back